Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    For some architects this may be true, but as a builder I can assure you it is not usually true. I don't mean to offend, but there are some brilliant ideas that architects/engineers with no field experience come up with that just don't work.
    uh oh... you just got yourself another 6+ pages of "conundrum" on this here post...
    ELDON

Eldon,

You're funny.

Sometime waaaaaayyy!!!back in this thread I received the answers I was looking for so I think I may be done now...

maybe...
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    One detail I really like is the multiple A35s attached to I joist blocks. Ever try to put 6-12 nails into the bottom cord of an I joist?
    I haven't seen that done since the very early years of I-joists. Now you generally don't block on the perimeter (where the A35's generally are for shear transfer) you have a solid engineered rim joist for this and the nailing works just fine. Maybe it's just taking a while for this to migrate up the Alaska.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

My Niece is a newly licensed Architect in Calif. and Alaska and really hasn't done any projects yet because she is traveling with her husband in the army. They are in Sri Lanka.
    When they get back, she will have a lot of catching up To do. Everyone has a different story, so there is no correct or not correct answer here. But I'm sure she will be a good one. She passed all the tests first time.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I have to echo Alaskan Son, to a certain extent. Most of the architects that I have worked with have minimal field experience.

I mostly build decks and pergola's, so in the past, there wasn't a lot of engineering required. That is certainly changing.

The architects that I worked with trusted me with the "how to build it" concerns. In other words, I did the structural parts, they did the cosmetic parts. The permit offices did not seem to have a problem with that either.

It's not as far fetched as it seems. I actually have a degree in structural engineering, but I am not, nor have ever been a engineer. I kick myself about that now.

Back to the OP's original question. I draw all that I can. I submit it to the permitting organization, and if they want it, I pass it on to a engineer, for review. This is a extra cost, as stated in my contract. These day's, that is the norm. The permitting organizations want zero part of the liability, even for a simple straight forward project. Unfortunately, the customer has to bare that cost, to do almost any project now.
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor