Thread: Brick sills

Brick sills

As Chief doesn't do brick sills, we can make them out of soffits or create them 2d.
    What have you found the best way by experience?
    Thank you, Jan

------------------

I don't have much use for this but if you use soffits then you will not have to redraw them if you modify the design. Once you update a layout view all modifications are history. If use 2D do it in the saved elevation but even then it is sometimes necessary to recreate an elevation depending on the extent of the modification.

Larry

You mean to be able to show a brick/masonry ledge in a three D foundation I assume. 2-D is no problem. Are you using Version 5 or 6?

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

Larry, Thank you for your input.
    David, it is Chief 5 that I use. The sills are for windows or doors, this is where Chief shines if you use timber frames, but 99% is aluminium frames here (Australia) unless you do an older style home or exeptions to the rule. The new windows they try to sell now are timber internal and an aluminium frame external. Therefore the sills are not part of the window frame and are sometimes tiles most times brick on edge. The version at the moment seem to be irrelevent as neither makes them. I recall an other person put them on the wish list recently so for the time being we have to work with what is given. I have tried soffits on the model and blocks on the 2d drawings but I thought I could be missing something and wondered what the experienced users are finding the best?
    As an added note to all of you, thank you for being there, you make me feel part of a large family. Thank you, Jan

------------------

You are welcome boy-o!

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

Larry,

A lot of the guys handle your type of complaint by using .dfx out and back in to a CAD detail for modification (which is very quick)then for changes-re-.dfx/modify. It is a work-around for sure but very workable and fast.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

If you play with soffits and materials definitions you can achieve all sorts of interesting results. I use sloped soffits 3" thick with a width as wide as the doorway window or wall I am trying to get a ledge or soldier course placed on. The heigth at the front can be set as much as 6" higher than the back of the soffit. You can experiment with this deminsion and the horizontal width to see what looks best for your application. 5" is about right for a sloped soldier course on top of a foundation wall. Now comes the part that is applicable to a lot more than this issue. Under menu item: Options\Materials\Define Materials\General
    I pck a material that I am not going to use and redefine it. For brick soldiers I select corrugated metal roof and then change its color to 35 (which I have adjusted to be the color of red in my bricks that I have also applied to my brick patterns- you can also use textures if you want), its "category" to "strip" and its "line" color to "grey". Then I apply the material to the soffit when I open the soffit dialog. This gives you nice lined up bricks You could also create a new material if you wanted because corrugated metal roof is changed for this plan permanently to look like lined up brick.

Trbrock
    I thank you for your input, it looks the way to go because this then takes care of 3d and elevations, I'll just have to change your inches to real measurements like mm, ha ha.
    thanks again, Jan

------------------