Sending plans to layout question

I'd like to know if you folks "make a copy" or not when you send your plans to layout. .....and why. It looks like there are pros and cons to each method. X3 user. Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mikes616 View Post
    I'd like to know if you folks "make a copy" or not when you send your plans to layout. .....and why. It looks like there are pros and cons to each method. X3 user. Thanks

Mark
    No copies, no need to.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

You mean make a copy of the plan?

If that's what you're asking, then definitely not. That would only complicate things.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I use the "save as" method and when doing lots of changes I may save every 5 minutes, certainly every 15 minutes or when I finish a task I don't wish to repeat.

I add date and time to my file names

I leave the layout creation till the end of the project

then I save as with the simple version of the plan name and layout name

each time I change anything after that I save as with date/time and as the simple name

it sounds complicated but it flows very nicely and the plan and layout are always in sync and I have frequent backups of both

1234_MODEL_110315_1520_LBX3.PLAN

1234_REMOD_110315_1520_LBX3.PLAN

1234_ALT01_110315_1520_LBX3.PLAN

1234_MODEL.PLAN

1234_LAYPS.LAYOUT
    PS = PERMIT SET
    CP = CLIENT PRESENTATION

LB = my initials, my partner uses his, subs use theirs etc

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I think he is referring to "make copy" of the layers.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

When the "Send to Layout" DBX opens...two of the options are:

"send entire plan/view" or
    "make copy of active layer set"...this is the one I am referring to

Mark

MarK;

I never use the "make copy"

I do all work in the plan and then send to layout

If changes are needed I do them in the plan

Obviously, there are some exceptions but I try to work in layout only if needed

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by mikes616 View Post
    When the "Send to Layout" DBX opens...two of the options are:

"send entire plan/view" or
    "make copy of active layer set"...this is the one I am referring to

Mark
    I never use make copy of active layer set. It complicates matters. I send an anno set to layout which has defined the layer set I am using. Of course once sent to layout you can change the layer set if you would like, I would recommend against this, primarily if you are using all tools available you are also sending a ref set to layout (MRLS).

Of course if you are using the SAM, you are no longer sending views to layout, they are already there with the appropriate ref set.

Yeah, I know TMI...... well you asked.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

LOL....thanks Scott

Scott,
    (Just for clarification):
    You don't send Anno Sets to layout. You send views w/the desired layer sets to layout. When you double-click a view on the layout, the plan opens in the LAYERSET that is being used, & who knows what Anno Set is active at the time. That's the only problem w/ Anno Sets right now. They're not "linked" to the layout view. It's the one "trap" of Anno Sets that you have to watch out for. When Chief figures out how to link anno sets to the layout view, Anno Sets will be purrrrrrrrrfect.
    Love 'em anyhow, but............
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

They also need to link the reference set to the annoset
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

You don't send Anno Sets to layout. You send views w/the desired layer sets to layout.
    Well, you got me on a technicality, yes I send views, but I like to think of it a sending a view with a specific ANNO SET, I think anno sets, the layout sets are along for the ride.... I know.... a technicality, and yes Perry, ref sets should be a part of this.... slabber bros thinking alike.............. hey Perry, have you decided on whether you are going to the UGM yet? I gotta say, after my GolfTec lessons I am going to blow my good friend Joe Carrick out of the water and I want some witnesses.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

yes, I want to go, just to beat up on Mont a little, make him cry just a little bit. Still a little to early to say, trying to make some people Change a wedding. I'm not sure if I will be able to witness anything, sight going fast, of course I can fake it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

sight going fast, of course I can fake it.
    Yep, I relate, fortunately I can hit my driver only 210 yards, if I hit it any further I would lose alot more balls.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Once a view is sent to layout, it has no link whatsoever to any Anno Set at all. It does, however maintain a link to a Layerset & you can change the layer set that is being displayed to any in your list of layersets. You can't do that w/ Anno Sets.
    That's more than just "along for the ride". Anno Sets are what's "along for the ride", & it's a short ride, cuz there's no sign of the anno set anywhere in layout view.
    I know we're disecting words w/ this, but I believe this is a very important distinction to make &, after all, words (written) are all we have here. It's like calling a whale a "fish". Close, but not really.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc