Hybrid View

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    David- The problem with leaving the sill where it is is that it looks like heck. (I'm being conservative) When I try and do any kind of "adjusting" I get these unwanted looks on the exterior. As to actual sills on exterior doors--a in-swing door must have a threshold of some type on top of the sill so if you have weather stripping on the bottom of the door it would not rub the inside floor. One way to avoid this is to have the weather gasket/stripping mounted on the threshold, but you still need clearance for rugs or mats inside of the door. As to my case the doors are out-swinging so I don't have to worry about the inside clearance (we're talking the "real world" of course). Also on any door (well, almost all, with the exception of custom options) the actual sill stops at the inside of the door or no more than where a 2x4 wall would come. If any extensions are added it only applies to the jamb. I'm talking about out-swing doors in this case. The way CA works, if I had a wall 12" thick the sill still comes all the way to the interior side of the drywall. I know CA can't "adjust" things for every type of situation, but if I wanted to "adjust" the door myself (up or down) to get the "look" I'm after on the interior I should not have to deal with the results on the exterior of the door (sill w/apron or no sill) I get with moving it either up or down. Do we agree on that?
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670