Roof Collar Ties

For conventional roof framing methods Collar ties are the horizontal structural members of the roof framing typically set at 2/3 the height measured from the ceiling to ridge(no sarcasm intended). Currently I have to draw them individually on plan and section. Is there someway in the "build roofs" dialoge box to make this happen automatically - I cant find it

While I'm here for stairs we can check "Draw bewels/balasters" but not the handrail in plan. I never show the newels in plan, it makes too much clutter on the drawing, I always show the rail using cad lines.
    Thanks
    Sal
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    User since Ver 3 ! (not X3) -X6
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    (2) 27" ASUS monitors (1) 32" LED TV

Sal.

The auto roof framing does not build collar ties....they would be considered ceiling framing - however, if your ceiling height is at the top of wall plate - that's where the ceiling framing will be built (by Chief). Chief does not 'calculate' framing members as the "code" specifies...

I do my collar ties (and almost all of my roof framing) manually.

No, stair-hand rails do not show in plan view....yet....
    Chris Fenstermaker
    Selah Design Services
    Building Design
    Lebanon, PA
    Using Chief since 1997

SDS on Facebook
    Find me on facebook

Live Healthier, Live Greener

As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man. Proverbs 27:19

If you want your "handrail" to show in plan differently than Chief's default railing wall (I think it is a 3.5" wide/thick wall, just open the railing wall specification, make a copy of it and rename the copy as desired, then give it whatever width you want it to have. Also, you can assign it to its own layer if that is desired for controlling whether or not it is displayed in different plans/views.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

A link to a video on auto bulding collar ties.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....667#post389667
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Cool Video, seems like alot to remeber in order not to auto-erase your collar ties especially if the project sits for a few weeks. But thanks for the intersing take
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Curtis
    I was refering to the actual hanrail lines on the staircase that can not be shown from the DBX, but thanks for the other tip that came in handy!
    Sal
    Sal Genovese A.I.A.
    i7 Hexi-core 3.40 ghz
    32 Gb RAM
    NVidia GTX 780ti 3gb
    1TB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Once your roofs are in place & you're pretty much done w/'em, you can change your room ceiling hgt in the room spec dbx, build ceiling framing (remember to change your OC spacing in the Framing Defaults dbx), group select them all, & put them on the Framing, Roof layer.
    That's it.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc