Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Chief Users in NW Chicago Suburbs?

Am I out here all by my lonesome or is there another Chief user I can co-miserate with?

I recently relocated from Illinois to N.W. Indiana. One of the companies that I work with is in Aurora, IL.
    What type of work do you do with Chief?
    With the Aurora company we do mostly remodels and additions.
    Tammy Apostolis
    TJD Designs, Inc.

Chiefer since V6
    X2 & X3
    Windows7 64-bit
    Dual 768MB 8800 GTX video cards (in SLI) with dual monitors

Quote Originally Posted by TJD DESIGNS
    I recently relocated from Illinois to N.W. Indiana. One of the companies that I work with is in Aurora, IL.
    What type of work do you do with Chief?
    With the Aurora company we do mostly remodels and additions.
    Cool! Well, you aren't around me, but I certainly appreciate your response. I am a building/remodeling contractor in McHenry County. Right now, I'm doing quite a bit of kitchen/bath work but love historic renovation. I have worked mainly with AutoCAD and have owned CA since V10, just upped to X1, but don't have a good grasp of it yet. I am practicing on my own home, an 1870 Greek Revival knockoff, gable & wing farmhouse which desperately needs added space.
    BTW, my last name is Chirikos, ancestors from the central Peloponese. Are you Greek?
    Nick Chirikos
    Housewright Design-Build Ltd.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been having log-in issues with chieftalk. Something about my cookies. Anyway, the remodel sounds interesting. Have you modeled the house in chief yet? If you have any questions I could probably lend a hand.
    I use only Chief for my work. I found out long ago that with chief it was easier to design and model a house than with CAD-for me anyway. But maybe that is because when I first started with CAD it was about 18 years ago-and needless to say-very frustrating trying to figure out the 3-D point when just trying to draw a wall. I love the ease of Chief-you want to draw a wall-you just draw it. SO I probably never gave CAD the proper time needed to learn all of the ins and outs of the program.
    Anyway, I have been using Chief professionally for about 5 years now. I just received the upgrade to version X1, but have not installed it yet. I want to wait untill I have finished with a few projects I am in the middle of first. But it looks promising.
    As far as being Greek-I am by marriage. My husband is 100% Greek, from Xios.
    Tammy Apostolis
    TJD Designs, Inc.

Chiefer since V6
    X2 & X3
    Windows7 64-bit
    Dual 768MB 8800 GTX video cards (in SLI) with dual monitors

No problem. I've had my share of computer issues too. I am trying to model my house in chief now. I don't get how you merge a 1 story gable roof into the sidewall and roof of a 2 story main building. I'm learning the way I learned autocad- trial & error (probably the worst way to learn), but am considering Dan Bauman's online courses.I am so grounded in cad that I keep going back to it to solve issues, bu am trying to break the habit. As a builder, I've always worked in 2D: floorplans, and elevations. But now that I am doing more design/development, I am more involved with conveying perspective and concept. And I would appreciate any guidance you could give me with chief. I will say this: get to X1 asap. Many of the exta-cost add-ons of version 10 are now included, and things like mouse-button panning I could never do without.

Barry

To NICKC. I am a novice. I have been trying to use Chief Architect since v10. I stopped using it when I got tired of zooming in and out to move my plans on the screen. When vX1 included a mouse button grip it seemed worth the money. I feel like I just bought more headaches. I use Chief because it is a pain to to render in Autocad Architectural Desktop 2006. I have a law practice but in a former life spent 25 years in construction. Currently I live in Belvidere, IL.

Hi, Barry
    I guess I am at about the same level as you. I bought V10 but never used it much, primarily because of its cumbersome interface and differences from autocad. When I up'ed to X1, the first thing I noticed was the mouse panning, which has been a staple of autocad for many years. My goal is to become more proficient in Chief than autocad (I have been with acad since 2.1, but quit at 2004 because of the upgrade cost/value.) Object-based design is the way to go, and X1 is a true powerhouse. I have seen the light, and am completely devoted to mastering it. I bought into Dan Bauman's training for one year ($595 - the best deal around, IMHO) and can't wait. So if you are an attorney, what do you do with home design? I have a small design-build firm, and work very closely with a small group of clients.
    Nick

Nick, One of my clients is a developer that uses autoclaved aerated concrete for housing and commercial developments in combination with steel sandwiched foam insulated roofing. I set up some LLCs for them. Because of my construction background, I did the preliminary drawings in CAD and setup their Power Point presentations using Chief renderings. See http://www.aerconfl.com, http://www.safecrete.com/and http://www.metlspan.com for description of materials. I had used Home Architect 3,4,and 5 and new it was good for quick client presentations. The problem I run into is that Chief is really a residential program and we do no framing. Is is essentially slab construction. Chief is great for exporting 3d objects into my autocad.

Barry Andersen
    1901 Union Ave
    Belvidere,IL 61008
    barryandersen@yahoo.com

Nick, One of my clients is a developer that uses autoclaved aerated concrete for housing and commercial developments in combination with steel sandwiched foam insulated roofing. I set up some LLCs for them. Because of my construction background, I did the preliminary drawings in CAD and setup their Power Point presentations using Chief renderings. See http://www.aerconfl.com, http://www.safecrete.com/and http://www.metlspan.com for description of materials. I had used Home Architect 3,4,and 5 and new it was good for quick client presentations. The problem I run into is that Chief is really a residential program and we do no framing. Is is essentially slab construction. Chief is great for exporting 3d objects into my autocad.

Barry Andersen
    1901 Union Ave
    Belvidere,IL 61008
    barryandersen@yahoo.com

Nick,

I've never visited this site before so I was surprised and delighted to hear of someone from McHenry County. I live in McHenry County as well. Algonquin to be precise where I also serve as a Village Trustee. I've been involved in many county organizations over the years.

I've been working in CA since version 9 and I am currently using X1 and would welcome hearing from you.

Jim Steigert
    Algonquin, Illinois

Wow!
    Hello, Jim. It's a pleasure to make your "online" acquaintance. I am a 32 year resident of Algonquin Township, making my home at the old Haeger Place at the corner of Haeger's Bend and River Road. It would be nice to meet you in person and swap stories. Feel free to call me at 847-658-3434

Nick Chirikos

Nick,

Called about 5:45 PM today. No answer so I thought I'd try the E-mail route.

I too have also lived in Algonquin for 32 years this April. Talk about coincidence! What are the odds. Your also on one of my favorite running routes although I don't run down River Road frequently because of the narrow road and traffic.

It would be great to meet up with you and nice to know someone else in the area working with Chief Architect. I have a love/hate relationship with CA but despite some of it's "bugs" it creates some fantastic looking drawings and renderings. I work out of my home in Algonquin. Sometimes it seems that all I do is work with Chief Architect 7 days a week. I'm at 847-658-0536. Located at 606 Legion Drive in Algonquin. Hope to hear from you as well

Jim Steigert

nw indiana

well, new to cheif but loving it.

I work for a Commerical Modular company, we have always designed in acad to this point. Cheif seems to offer a great deal more eye candy than acad but, doesn't seem to be able to support the level of accuracy we need for the shop.

anyway nice to meet you'll

Richard Mikesell
    Project Engineer
    Richard Mikesell
    Purchasing Manager ~ Acad release 9, CA X1 & more
    Tyson Onsite
    2301 S Holt Rd.
    Indianapolis, IN. 46241
    www.tysononsite.com
    "Consistency" It's only a virtue if your not a Screwup

To Nickc and Jim Steigert: Hello from Crystal Lake

Hi guys, my name is Mike, this is my first post. I'm out here in Crystal Lake, so you can add another CA user from the NW suburbs to the roster. I think it's great that there are a few users in the discussion group that are all within a stone's throw of each other (insert smiley emoticon here).

Unfortunately I've got a day so jammed up with chores that I may not be able to log on or respond before tomorrow. You know how it is.

Guys, have a great rest-of-the-weekend, and I hope to talk to you all soon.

-Mike

Hi, Mike. Thanks for posting. Feel free to email me directly and see if we can get together. Address: Nickc at housewrightdb dot com

Nick C