Raytracing Image Washed Out

I'm trying to get decent output of the POV raytracer in rev 9.02 with less than spectacular results. Whenever I fire up the POV engine for a raytrace of a room with lights (tried several type: hanging, floor), the image is so washed out due to the brightness of the lights as to be worthless. I've tried the following settings:

1) autointensity on
    2) autointensity off with the manual intensity cranked down almost to zero
    3) radiosity on and off
    4) lights are "point"

The lights and every wall and ceiling around them come out completely washed out. The brightness setting that can be accessed from the "file" tab doesn't help either. Walls & ceilings are currently default sheetrock as far as color.

Any ideas?

washed out raytrace

I had the same problem but if i limited the number of lights turned on to 3 or 4 and turned these intensity down far enough (2 notches above 0) I was able to work it out.

I would highly encourage you to work with a simple model until you have become comfortable with all of the various settings (lighting, materials, and raytrace options) that can effect the view. Raytracing is much more complicated then the more simplistic Chief rendering so it can be difficult to get exactly the look you want without "tweaking" the settings.

Another thing to remember, is that you adjust the final image brightness when all else fails. There is a menu option under the File menu called Image Adjustment that will let you make it brighter or darker.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com