Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted

10 years later and windows still disappear in attic walls?

I took a couple of years off hoping Chief would become more stable, but endless hours later and I still have windows disappearing in attic cross section views. It's so tempting to use bonzai3d for modeling and export to cad for plans.

I'm pretty good at second guessing chief, not at all the best, but really, how good do you have to be before expecting a decent print in a reasonable time and how many achieve that without wasting way too much time getting there.

I actually love the layout tool for chief, too bad getting a model perfect enough is so time consuming. Some things are very quick in chief, no modeling program has all the conveniences that Chief has, but every modeling program I've used, particularly the new boolean programs, are so much more stable from drawing to rendition.

The first one that has a decent linked layout capability and I'm there. Can't wait for the future.

Please excuse my rant....I needed to publicly vent and besides Chief needs to hear this, **** attic wall.

Yes, rebuilt everything, it's all aligned from floor to floor, thank you wendy for the cut/paste regeneration fix. Obviously still not perfect. How about a pop-up that says what chief wants instead of everyone having to guess. They've certainly got a lot of my money over the years and patients, but I'm so going to be the first to bail when the going gets good and it's not far off.

Cheers, z

Dear Zowie,

Don't please take this as a criticism or God forbid saying you are not telling the truth, nothing like that (I am totally serious).
    I actually do not understand what you mean as I have not experienced this in my 17 years of using Chief.

Yes in the past I have occasionally had a boggle with attic wall windows but it is so rare so as worth mentioning (FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE).

I would be the first to say that others experiences are understandably differing and different.

It is often not mentioned here at Chief Talk as a problem and certainly not an unsolvable problem.

You venting is acceptable and accepted, I just personally have not had this as a problem for many versions and hardly ever before.

My most successful action is to just insist that the software do what I want, no matter what and it commonly does thereafter do so.

I DO understand the frustration and stress of expecting the software to do the desired "A" and then getting the rest of the alphabet instead. The current version is not perfect and cannot do everything I want it to do as I want it to do so but for the most part I can make it do my will.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Perhaps you're still doing the same thing that caused this mishap?

Double check floor and ceilings heights, wall alignment, then rebuild. Still no dice? Delete errant attic wall and it wont come back if the model is correct.
    Last edited by Rusty; 01-28-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Post the plan. Let's see what is wrong.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Please excuse my rant....I needed to publicly vent and besides Chief needs to hear this, **** attic wall.
    Heck, I have done and said this too, I feel your pain. But something funny happened on the way to the opera, I said this less and less, and now I almost never say it.... if ever. I almost said it yesterday, but I worked it out.

I look back and wonder if it was me not knowing what I was doing or has CA fixed most of those nagging little issues. Probably a combination of the two. But what we do need to know if it is our ignorance or ca's weakness, and by posting the plan to get help, you will know.
    Last edited by dshall; 01-29-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall