Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=WendyWelton;383403]Zowie,

The truth as I know it - nobody really understands attic walls.

Amen. I thought it was just me.........
    Ike
    X5, Using Chief since V3.0

Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thanks Jim, I very much appreciate time and comments. I usually go to defaults and set ceiling hts. to determine wall hts. I don't go back to the plan to check that walls are at default hts. Should I globally highlight walls and check default ht for them all? Not sure why they would deviate from default when ceiling ht is set in default? Is this how you got them to default? Thank you again.

Would you have any idea about why that floor is showing through the front wall. I checked wall goes through floor, which fixed it in 3d, but not sure if it's going to show like balloon framing in cross sec. Cheers

Zowie,
    One of the 1st things I did was get in the wall tool & drag a selection box around the entire plan so that I had all the walls selected & set them to "default top/bot, along w/ deselecting any other wall settings that would make a wall not a normal plain wall; on all the floors. That way I can get a quick look at any "unusual" wall hgts & ascertain what your floor & room defs are compared to the defaults. Once I figure out what your floor, room, & wall defaults are, I start editing room & wall defs. If the attic wall is the same wall type as below, has no windows, & doesn't cantilever over the wall below, I select "Balloon thru ceiling". This setting eliminates the attic wall above. Nice. If your roof baseline hgt matches your rafter depth & room hgt, there shouldn't be any attic walls over bearing walls. Interior walls need to be set to "stop at ceiling", unless you want an attic wall up there.
    There's just a myriad of "little" things to remember, depending on each situation. It's mostly a matter of "Oh, I've seen that before. How did I fix that?"
    Post the plan w/ that balcony. I'll take a look. The zip you posted at 2:53PM was empty. Probaby had plan open when you zipped.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Very rarely do I have an issue with attic walls that I cannot fix, but I did have one the other day and I think I simply turned it into an invisible wall..... maybe.... or maybe I redesigned the house and it went away..... I don't remember now..... I should of gone to Zumba today with Lynn but I was just too darned tired, instead I'm on here with all of my frenemies.... Gordon and I are best of frenemies, by the way Gord, congrats on your big job, I hope this will help you swing the X4 upgrade, I have a feeling it will be great..... if only they fix this silly line wt. issue...... Vincent K. just heard about it.... where has he been?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall