Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3/4 column

Quote Originally Posted by DMDz View Post
    Using SketchUp - you can do this very easily.

No problem at all. Use SketchUp, and here is one of their videos that show you how the method is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax9HY06PB8M

D
    I watched the video, made my model a group, drew a non-grouped vertical plane, edit the group, brought the plane to the center of the group model and chose intersected with model. I got the dividing lines through the center of my model but I can't delete the half that I want. What did I miss?
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1217 View Post
    I watched the video, made my model a group, drew a non-grouped vertical plane, edit the group, brought the plane to the center of the group model and chose intersected with model. I got the dividing lines through the center of my model but I can't delete the half that I want. What did I miss?
    Hi Pat,

Since I haven't looked at Scott's last video, I'm not understanding what you are asking. What's the bit about group, vertical plane and intersected with model.

No, better yet.... What is it that you want to accomplish?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Hi Pat,

Since I haven't looked at Scott's last video, I'm not understanding what you are asking. What's the bit about group, vertical plane and intersected with model.

Ok, this is what I'm doing. I found a 3DS chair but when I import it into SU, all the parts are floating everywhere so I'm piecing it together in SU.
    I got 1/2 of the chair looking pretty good but rather than tackling all the parts to the other half, I apparently should be able to take what I've got, divide the chair in half (the good half) then mirror it together in SU.

It t'ain't workin!!

The video shows how to do this and I was sure I did it right but obviously I'm missing something.
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

Fort Worth Texas

Hi Pat,

I think Pat is refering to dmz video on su
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

OK, can you post the plan and I'll see what I can do.
    Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize you were working in SU. Can you import the half into Chief and then post the Chief Plan?
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 01-22-2011 at 05:54 PM.

OK, can you post the plan and I'll see what I can do.
    I'm not doing it within a Chief plan. It's going directly from 3DS to SU.

Do you want to try it? I can probably use DropBox to get the file to you.

It's pretty high poly so you may not want to.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

It's pretty high poly so you may not want to.
    Maybe not - I was thinking that I if you could get the half chair from SU into Chief then I could do the mirror merge in Chief and send it back to you.

Maybe not - I was thinking that I if you could get the half chair from SU into Chief then I could do the mirror merge in Chief and send it back to you.
    I can do the mirroring part if I can figure out how to divide the chair in half. I wouldn't tackle it either if I were you.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

I can do the mirroring part if I can figure out how to divide the chair in half. I wouldn't tackle it either if I were you.
    Can you create a large box in SU and use a boolean operation to delete the part of the chair you don't want?

Can you create a large box in SU and use a boolean operation to delete the part of the chair you don't want?
    I'm not sure if the method in the video is considered boolean but basically it's like sawing the model in half. It's not just deleting the parts I don't want.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Boolean operations are like Chief's "Solid Addition", "Solid Subtraction" and "Solid Intersection". I thought that SU had those but I don't use SU unless I have to simply because I don't like the process of then getting the symbol into Chief.

Boolean operations are like Chief's "Solid Addition", "Solid Subtraction" and "Solid Intersection". I thought that SU had those but I don't use SU unless I have to simply because I don't like the process of then getting the symbol into Chief.
    Yep, then that's what the video is showing how to do. If I can figure it out, it can come in darn handy.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Someone had a post recently about another 3D program similar to SU but it's much more and has some really great features - I also like the user interface more. It's not free, but for your use it would probably be well worth the price. I just can't remember the name.

Someone had a post recently about another 3D program similar to SU but it's much more and has some really great features - I also like the user interface more. It's not free, but for your use it would probably be well worth the price. I just can't remember the name.
    ....Bonzai3D
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

....Bonzai3D
    That's the one!