Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks, Kevin. #1 worked.

#2: When the roof comes down, all walls of the house, now above the roof, are cut away! That's not intended. So I believe, I need to be able to "cut" a big rectangular hole into the roof before sinking it down. How to do that?

Thanks for reading, good intentions, your time, good attitude and a good answer.

Sven

Draw a rectangular polyline (or whatever shape you need)
    Select the polyline and then select the "Convert Polyline" tool on the Edit toolbar
    Choose "Hole in roof/ceiling" option
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Oh? That simple? Thanks a lot again, Kevin!

Thanks for reading, good intentions, your time, good attitude and a good answer.

Sven

I have created a circular polyline, and tried to cut it out from the roof. However, when right-clicking the circular polyline and selecting "Convert polyline to ...", the "Hole in Roof" option is disabled. Why? The circular polyline is at the same floor like the roof.

I also want to create a partially circular cut-out for a rounded stairs along the inside of a tower. That means, the cut-out needs on its outer edge to follow the line of the tower's inside walls, and the inner edge of the cut-out is following the outline of a smaller circle. Finally, since it is not supposed to be a ring-shaped cut-out, I have to limit this cut-out to end at a certain angle of that circle, let's say, it starts at 0° and ends at 90° (just to give an example). How to accomplish that?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Last edited by Hirnsausen; 01-11-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Sven

I have created a circular polyline, and tried to cut it out from the roof. However, when right-clicking the circular polyline and selecting "Convert polyline to ...", the "Hole in Roof" option is disabled. Why? The circular polyline is at the same floor like the roof.
    Build roof, draw cricle over roof, CONVERT CURVE TO POLYLINE, select roof, POLYLINE SUBTRACTION, click on circle..... you get hole in roof

or

Build roof, draw cricle over roof, CONVERT CURVE TO POLYLINE, select circle, CONVERT TO HOLE IN ROOF

it work either way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hole in roof 2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	44960  
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I also want to create a partially circular cut-out for a rounded stairs along the inside of a tower. That means, the cut-out needs on its outer edge to follow the line of the tower's inside walls, and the inner edge of the cut-out is following the outline of a smaller circle. Finally, since it is not supposed to be a ring-shaped cut-out, I have to limit this cut-out to end at a certain angle of that circle, let's say, it starts at 0° and ends at 90° (just to give an example). How to accomplish that?
    This makes no sense.....
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I think Sven is looking for something like the image below.
    I created the tower and used the curved stair tool to make the stair. I used the "Auto Stairwell" tool to make the opening in the second floor. I dragged the inner railing by the round handle to reduce it's radius and pull it away from the inside edge of the stair.

K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curved stair.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	44962  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Wow! Wonderful answers! Thank you very much, to all of you! Good spirit in this forum!

Sven