Zooming and Scrolling

I am constantly losing the ability to zoom with the mouse wheel. It reverts to scrolling up and down. If I go to the aerial view and zoom in and out a few times I can then zoom on the plan again. I can always zoom in the aerial view. Has any one else had a problem with this or is it my system. I also have trouble with jerky mouse movement and have tried different mice, updated the driver and still have the same problem. I heard about removing all mouse files in the registry but I am hesitant to try this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

xp home, wireless intellimouse explorer, 4.10.851.0 driver off web site
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

I gave up wireless mouses for the reasons you described and they **** for graphics! Also a jumping pointer usually means you have bigger problems with your OS. Try a defrag to see if that helps?
    Tim - Houston, TX
    X5

Be very careful with updating mouse drivers.

I found a crash bug in Chief 9 Sections - scroll the view too far (up, down, left or right) and Chief 9 crashes... I've reported that as a reproducible bug last week.

However, there was a suggestion that mouse drivers may be a cause... so I upgraded my Logitech drivers from 4.00 to 4.076 and then got similar problems to those you describe. Jumpy movements and loss of functionality.

Late in the evening I fiddled with trying to remove the new drivers and reinstate the old. No luck. Something had changed the Registry settings and a dll refused to be de-referenced. I hacked it manually only to succeed in blue screening Windows 2000 on boot.

Spent the next morning cleaning out that boot partition and rebuilding Windows from scratch. (Safe boot and Last Known Good all blue screened).

So be very, very careful with hacking mouse drivers; unless you are prepared to rebuild the System.

During the rebuild I found that before installing the good old reliable Logitech drivers, the default Win2K mouse drivers did not work too well in Chief 9.... no panning or scrolling, just zoom in and out.

For now I have installed a cheap wired mouse and set the mouse motion to the fastest speed and checked enhance pointer precision. I have uninstalled the wireless mouse. I still have jerky movement but better precision control and have not had the zooming problems. I was hoping to find a program to remove all mouse files in the regestry.

On another note since I installed my new video card I have had only one crash and that was on a site plan while trying to edit a polyline. I have always had problems editing polylines and dimensioning on site plans. I now suspect video cards are behind most crashes.
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

We have two machines running MS Explorer mice that switch from zooming in and out to scrolling in both Chief and AutoCAD. Paint Shop Pro also looses the ability to zoom in and out with the wheel at random. We have not figured out what triggers it but blame it on the mouse driver as a best guess. Anyone at ART want to offer and advice?

Bill Wakefield

I've often found that if I'm suddenly in scrolling mode rather than zooming mode, I can hold down the CTRL key and zoom with the wheel. Eventually, regular zooming comes back. I've learned to just live with it.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com