Threaded View

Hip Roof Framing to Ledger on 90° Outside Corner

Attached are two images of hips for a porch roof to be built with open rafters connected to a ledger fastened to the walls of an ICF house. Most all the projects I do are done with roof trusses and having little experience with complex (I think) manual framing connections, I am wondering just how the hip rafter and the first full length common rafters connecting with the hip rafter at the corner of the house should be fastened to the ledgers to make a solid, strong connection?

It seems to me that trying to toe nail these three rafters at the corner would destroy (split) the ends of the ledgers such that the strength of the connections would be compromised. The second hip connection isn't quite as complex as the first but it seems that hereto, the nailing the hip and the first common rafter could also split the end of the the wall ledger. I am showing the rafter butted up to the wall as being connected to the house with a couple of anchor bolts (not sure if that's necessary ... I will probably remove them as this rafter can be screwed to the wall via the ICF webs ... the upper end would be solidly restrained by the end of the ledger).

A careful stroll through the Simpson StrongTie catalog didn't reveal any appropriate hardware that would be applicable for the hip rafter connections to the ledger.

Can anyone tell me how they think these connections can be achieved with ledger splitting (due to nailing) etc. as I have mentioned? I am brain locked on this one and could use some HELP (Allen ... any of you die hard framers)!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HipRoofCornerFraming_001.png 
Views:	1984 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	44389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EastHipRoofConn.png 
Views:	1834 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	44390
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard