Hybrid View

Maybe .... That is a pretty good idea for the first commons. What about the hip rafter then? Just a "V" cut in it to hug ea. side of the corner? Like I said ... I don't have a lot of experience with manual framing. I looked through some of my building books and didn't find much info about framing a hip around a 90° corner.

Do you have any idea when a double hip rafter is required? My customer is considering a clay tile roof for the porch which means some added load over conventional roofing types. If I did that, then each hip rafter would have a 45° top cut (at whatever the angle needs to be) rather than a V notch (or whatever the correct way to do it is).

Thanks for the idea on the commons ... maybe I'd better go back and check Simpson and see if they have something that would work for the top connection of the hip rafter. Adjusting the rafter LO might just make this doable even with the tops being toe nailed. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees!
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard