CA10 - Complex Stepped Foundation Question

Hi,
    I'm having trouble representing a complex block shaped foundation in CA10. I'm also having trouble connecting different types of foundation walls together into one piece.
    Attached is what I have so far
    Below is the real thing

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	44331  
    Chief Architect 10
    Windows 7

Let's see, this is your first post, you just bought the program, and you are having questions already...... who wouldn't, you are going to have a million of them. Watch some of the videos at chieftutor.com, especially the stem wall videos and terrain videos, it talks about your situation, good luck.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I don't think I'm the only one having trouble with foundations in Chief Architect.
    I've watched all relevant video for this subject.
    I've been working really hard to understand the program through the videos and searches and this is one of the only things I can't get working.
    Chief Architect 10
    Windows 7

I might recommend picking the most common width of your existing wall and drawing the entire foundation that wide. You can add polyline solids to represent the fatter sections.

By the looks of your model you have a handle on how to make the wall step and it looks like you have pPony walls for the walls that are both framed and foundation.

Not sure if the videos you watched include those that dshall mentioned above, but he has created some that are different than those available on the Chief website.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Evan,

I feel your pain but I think you've asked a very difficult question and it may be the reason there are no too many instructive responses. EDIT (Sorry Kevin didn't see your post when I posted this)

I also think that the way to handle your specific foundation takes all of the creative muscle of the most advanced Chief users to figure out. Unfortunately I'm not one of those users.

You may also not be able to create that foundation without using a combination of polyline solid slabs. It's hard to imagine that foundation being created automatically using any of Chief's auto build functions.

I've been using Chief for a few years and to be honest would not know where to start.

I guess that says a lot about my abilities but it also says a lot about the difficulty some problems in Chief can be to solve.

I haven't been much help but hopefully some one with more skill can help.
    Last edited by HumbleChief; 12-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Okay Evan, I just got out of a meeting and I do not want to do any work, I would rather do a webinar, so if you are up to it let me know, we can do it now...... I must be done by 3:30 pst. Anybody else interested?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Just made a lunch date I can't break but will be back by 2:30. Is an hour enough time to get it done. If so I'm in Scott.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Just made a lunch date I can't break but will be back by 2:30. Is an hour enough time to get it done. If so I'm in Scott.
    starting at 1:30 sharp and may go on til 3:30 max.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    If you decide to try solids as suggested, you might try doing a view to CAD of the foundation and changing the line style to solid so you can snap to intersection locations.

Copy/Hold Position back into the foundation view, then create the solids for the footings and stem walls. It will require some math to get the solids located correctly, but I have found this method easier than cross section views.

Take an overview and use the solid toolset as req'd. It can be done in CA, but it is a bit tedious. I usually just use an outside solid modeler and import the foundation as a symbol. Much easier to get the subtle details like radiused and chamfered corners with tools more suited for the job.

Chief has made some improvement to X3, but foundations are still a bit troublesome. If all else fails, solids can usually get the job done in Chief.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5