Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Material List: make the cabinet Component Parts go away

How can I make the Componet Parts of items in the Cabinet category stop listing on the material list. I just need to see the size and type of each cabinet needed. (One the material list it's the C1, C2, C3, etc. Not the C2.1, C2.2, c2.3, etc)

I don't need to know how many hinges or door pulls there are. The cabinet shops will determine that after you tell them the type and size cabinets you need.

X4
    Last edited by billlyon; 08-25-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: original question not clear

Through your later display options dialog box. Remove the "M" in that layer.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
    Through your later display options dialog box. Remove the "M" in that layer.
    I don't want to completely exclude cabinets from the material list, just want to turn off the Cabinet sub categories that show the pulls, hinges, size of each board, etc

You can turn off any column in any schedule. Select the schedule, open it, uncheck that column.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I'm talking about the material list. When the cabinet category begins there is one line used to describe the cabinet type and size. Under that there are several lines (maybe 4 to 7) in a sub-category giving the size materials, hinges, drawer pulls, handles, etc.
    I don't want the sub category information listing in the material list...It's not needed and it makes the report much longer and more complicated to read.

I've been looking to find out how to do that too. Did you ever figure a way to exclude the extra stuff such as hinges, drawer pulls, etc. from the materials list? I have found that you can unselect the unwanted items in the components dialog. But sometimes when you unselect the extras you didn't wnt to show, they recheck themselves!! Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by cad_man_sam View Post
    .....I have found that you can unselect the unwanted items in the components dialog. But sometimes when you unselect the extras you didn't wnt to show, they recheck themselves!! Why is that?
    I have a feeling you may have tried unchecking these items by group/marquee selection. Starting with a fresh set of cabinets, try changing only one cabinet at a time. The uncheck should hold.......Group/Marquee selecting is a problem on all objects, when dealing with the Components dbx. My advice would be to never group/marquee select items. If you do, maybe just to view, close the dbx using "Cancel", so no unwanted changes will be made.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

No, I did not, but I see that I worded my question wrong. All of the Component Parts that are listed for each cabinet are NOT in a SUB CATEGORY. They are all listed under primary category.
    version X6 -X5 -X4 -X3 -X2 -X1 -10 -9.5 -9 -8 -7 -6 -97 -4

Bill, if I understand you correctly, you'll need to edit your cabinets Components dbx, prior to sending to the Materials List. Make sure you only open one cabinet at a time, to do the editing, and not group/marquee select. Uncheck the items you don't want to appear in the Materials List.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

To eliminate columns from the Materials List, select the "Display Options" icon from the Materials List Toolbar. It's that easy.

You can also control this in "Preferences/Materials List/Master List" or "Preferences/Materials List/Report Style"

Just checked and Cliff is correct - Do not group select- Select each component individually. This is just another PITA.

You can turn off any column but Chief will just print the other information as if that column was still there. Only to do this is through the "use" check box as Cliff said and this must be done individually. If you try group select, Chief will ignore and automatically recheck "USE"
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by billlyon View Post
    No, I did not, but I see that I worded my question wrong. All of the Component Parts that are listed for each cabinet are NOT in a SUB CATEGORY. They are all listed under primary category.
    Can you provide some feedback on this problem? I am under the impression you are wanting to remove sub-components from a component, listed under the Category "Cabinets". If wanting to remove only the sub-components, you will need to open the Components dbx of each cabinet, individually, and uncheck "Use"......Do not group select the cabinets to make changes and once changes are made, do not group select and open the Components dbx.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Just checked and Cliff is correct - Do not group select- Select each component individually. This is just another PITA.
    Thanks for the confirmation Gerry. You beat me to the post, or I wouldn't have responded.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

No Problem Cliff -- But let me rant because I was Just though another problem with the material list.

The philosophy here is that if you group select and later change a single component Chief would have to decide if the group select is still valid. They take the easy way out -- or so it seems -- by just ignoring group select - no decision needed --- they just didn't bother to tell any one.

This is another example of a fantastic concept which was never fully developed and because of that. few people use it. Because few people use it, Chief puts a low priority on making needed changes, and so on,on,on,on.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    .....The philosophy here is that if you group select and later change a single component Chief would have to decide if the group select is still valid. They take the easy way out -- or so it seems -- by just ignoring group select - no decision needed --- they just didn't bother to tell any one.

This is another example of a fantastic concept which was never fully developed and because of that. few people use it.....
    I agree with you Gerry.....It appears we share the same logic.

Because few people use it, Chief puts a low priority on making needed changes, and so on,on,on,on
    That's my take on it too....Lots of missed opportunities here.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e