bump out box bay

new user question regarding how to make a box bay that is not a default from the window library. I would like to know show to:

1. Shorten the height of the bay walls and offset them off the ground.
    2. Create an opening in the inner wall for the box bay - is the pass thorugh the best way?
    3. Change material on the exterior of the box bay.

Thanks

Dean Miller
    Freeport Florida
    x1 / X2 Trial.2005 HP Pavilion
    dv 4000 series XP SP2
    1.6 GHv celeron 512 MB
    Intel 950 video(integrated)

looking for no walk out

thanks for the links - that is a great resource. I was looking for a bump out that is not a walk out - no foundation. If I do it as am automatic bay window then I can't seem to change the materials. If I create the walls then I can't seem to offset the walls higher - as in a 7' bay wall on 9' main wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lindwood green door.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	43239  

Mark,
    Draw walls & create a "room" w/ a raised floor for your box bay; make the wall that separates the bay from the main room invisible.
    There'll be some clean up, but that's the basics.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

The auto bay window tool does everything I think your asking it to do and it's clean both inside and out. All the base boards are correct etc. To change the out side wall covering use the componet painter and only the walls of the bay will change. If you choose to do it manually there is alot of editing. on the interior shots the one on the right is auto generated the one on the left manual .With the auto only editing was the window sizes and simply pulling the bottom up and the top down. The manual one took aleast twice as long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bay 2.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	43241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bay 1.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	43242  
    Vince Kunasek, Owner
    Vince Kunasek Design INC.
    14819 Black Street
    Bennington, NE. 68007
    http://www.vincekunasekdesign.com/
    vince@vincekunasekdesign.com
    Ph.(402) 315-9996
    Fax(402) 315-9614

"Achieving excellence in design has never been about the Designer...
    It has always been about the designer's commitment to those
    in search of it..." Vince Kunasek

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign View Post
    Mark,
    Draw walls & create a "room" w/ a raised floor for your box bay; make the wall that separates the bay from the main room invisible.
    There'll be some clean up, but that's the basics.
    Jim
    This is another way to do it..... but with clean up....

this....

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall/bay1.html

works better with less clean up if any.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

His image is a white box bay window in a brick wall. The problem w/ the auto box bay is the wall type is the same as the main wall. You can "paint" the bay walls, that's true, but it shows in plan as a brick wall; and you're also limited w/ how wide you can make your windows.
    That's why I suggested a manual bay rather than the auto bay. If those aren't issues for you, than the auto box bay works fine.
    Chief needs to let us use different wall types w/ the auto bays.

I just tried using the new "pass thru" window for the interior wall. That seems to take care of the room moldings & the "hole" in the main wall below the bay, which are the only issues w/ the manual bays that I'm aware of.
    Nice.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

I just tried using the new "pass thru" window for the interior wall. That seems to take care of the room moldings & the "hole" in the main wall below the bay, which are the only issues w/ the manual bays that I'm aware of.
    The door opening works even better than the "pass thru" window because it will default to the "floor" of the bay requiring one less edit.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

The manual one took aleast twice as long.
    Vince, you are absolutely correct, but does it take two more minutes of time or 1 hour of extra time, I think closer to 2 minutes.

But what do you get with this, more control over bay wall framing, control of the bay ledge framing, more roof framing control, control over wall display in plan, the ability to control what the wall is framed with. Better control of dimensioning, probably better control of window call outs including how it shows in window schedule.

Hey Vince, do you get it now?

As I get up on my soap box, I comb my hair and tuck in my shirt......

David Michael of ChiefTutor.com has provided an excellant forum for some of the power users to share thoughts and ideas. If this these videos were available to me when I first began using CA, I would have more hair.

It amazes me that users do not take full advantage of these videos, if they did they would not advocate so strongly the use of auto bay tools or the use of invisible walls at bays. I suspect there are long time users out there that have done it one way for so long they are not open to alternative methods, and this is too bad because it is these long time users who could be expanding the different methods we employ.

If you are interested in pushing the limits of this program, please take a look at ALL the videos at ChiefTutor.com, these videos pick up where the CA videos left off.

I will now get off the soap box....... oof aarh ouch splat......

"Hey who tripped me? Was that you David Michael?.......... Well I was just trying to plug your web site.......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hey Vince you get it now?
    Good morning , yes I do get it now thank you for your reply.
    Vince Kunasek, Owner
    Vince Kunasek Design INC.
    14819 Black Street
    Bennington, NE. 68007
    http://www.vincekunasekdesign.com/
    vince@vincekunasekdesign.com
    Ph.(402) 315-9996
    Fax(402) 315-9614

"Achieving excellence in design has never been about the Designer...
    It has always been about the designer's commitment to those
    in search of it..." Vince Kunasek