Hybrid View

Atrium doors are OK, but . . .

The plan view shows one panel fixed, the other hinged, and that is about it. Too many things about the whole thing are wrong, otherwise.

These things, like all glass doors we buy from the window companies, whether sliding or hinged or "atrium" or "french" or even fixed, are specified as for size, by their w x h frame.

Not by the "door panel" size.

Please change this soon. I input a size for a two-panel door as 6068, or 6/0 wide by 6/8 high, and Chief gives me two 36 x 80 doors tight together, wrapped by a frame, and I have no control over frame sizing.

Atrium is a term that most understand as a two-panel glass patio door, one panel fixed, the other hinged, and hinging is from the center. All are made with a post-astragal between the door panels, which functions primarily as the means of weatherstripping the hinged edge of the active panel.

Chief shows both doors with hardware handles. Wrong. Only the side that swings gets latching hardware.

We have to work backwards from R.O. and R.O. margins, to arrive at something that matches what we need, size-wise.

Glass doors like these are really big windows, and should go on the window schedule.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Glass doors like these are really big windows, and should go on the window schedule.
    Don't agree. A door, no matter the type is still a door. A window, no matter the type is still a window.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

A door, no matter the type is still a door. A window, no matter the type is still a window

a door can be walked thru, a window requires "climbing" thru

a door has a low threshold and has the appearance of being able to "walk" thru it even if it can't be opened and is "all glass

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Im glad this post was started.

Can someone clarify what the difference is between chiefs "new atrium doors" versus just the standard french doors in the previous version? They look the same to me and open the same too?

Im obviously missing something, right?
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

I agree with Gene about which schedule they should be on. I don't use Atrium doors, but I use a lot of french doors and sliding glass doors that are produced by window manufacturers: Marvin, Andersen, Eagle, Jeld-Wen, etc. The supplier of the wood doors for a project is often NOT the supplier of the windows and clad doors for a project. All the products from a single supplier should be on a single schedule for ease of take-off and to avoid confusion. I actually title my window schedule "window and clad door schedule".

D
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Chad,

check swing from center in options tab
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Ok I will give that a try, thanks!
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

Maybe at least this baby step, as regards these glass doors, the ones that are included in the window package for purchase.

Add an option in the dbx for the door, "Include in Window Schedule."
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage