lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Wall/Butting/Jumping advice

I have a "Railing Wall" set at 42" high that using to set a bar height countertop on that butts into a full height 6" wall. Also an invisible wall running into the 6" wall that is used to make an "open below" for the stairs that is shown in the attachment. My problem is that I need the 6" wall to go bar countertop that I have drawn on the railing wall about 4" beyond the end of the 6" wall. The 6" wall keeps snapping back to the invisible wall. I tried drawing a short second 6" wall to the line, but the length is to short. I thought that maybe I could use the "hole in the floor platform" polyline. I could make my walls right doing that but a whole lot of other problems developed, such as not being able to see the stairs below in plan view, base molding in open area on walls, framing showing--I'll stop at that. As always, I'm very open to suggestions and ALWAYS appreciative. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor  view 1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	40972  
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

hi larry,
    i am no expert at playing with bumping/jumping snapping, hopping skipping...whatever one wants to call it! however, i had a little play and here's what i found.

i just quickly drew a railing, interior wall, and invisible wall in the way you have shown. i chose the slab tool and drew a square slab to imitate a countertop and set its height to be just on top of the railing as i believe you did. i found that if i allowed the railing to go past the end of the slab it snapped to the invisible wall. once that had happened the 6" wall would not snap past the end of the railing wall to meet up with the end of my countertop. so here's what i did to fix that problem...

1. your 4" railing wall that supports the countertop needs to be shortened so it stops at the end of the countertop not at the invisible wall! otherwise your 6" wall will actually first snap to the end of the 4" railing and that is no where near the countertop.
    2.then grab the end of the 6" wall and drag it past the invisible wall until it snaps into place at the end of the railing wall (which is level with countertop end)

when i did this it fixed the problem immediately but...

3. if, after doing the above, you are still having trouble with the invisible wall (since it is very close), try turning the invisible wall off in your display settings

with any luck that will solve your problem i think. i worked for me (i didnt place a stair well next to my wall but you could turn that off as well anyway)

hope that helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turn off invisible wall in layer display options.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	40996  

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    Adamjedgar--Actually that is how I started and everything worked for awhile. When I closed out the program and opened it back up is when I started having problems and have had problems ever since. I "cured" the problem by moving the steps another 10" farther away from the end where the countertop butts the 6" wall and everything works fine now. I have run into this problem before when I was using 10.08 but I thought by now (X2) CA would have fixed this kind of problem. May X3? I'll have to play with it and see. Thanks for the input.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670