Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X3 Ray Trace

Allen,
    Your lights turned out much nicer. Stainless is always hard to get right in any render engine it seems. Did you "spray" the stove with the same material as the dishwasher? It should come out the same.

Phoebe...is that what it's called? I didn't pay attention to the name. It is better than the old Pov in Chief but I think I'll be sticking with Thea for now. For me, Phoebe is just not good enough but I'm sure that it will come in handy for others.

I really appreciate you taking the time to see what you can do with it Allen.
    I'm glad to see some improvement with rendering in Chief.
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Oh, Allen...by the way...did you use a bump map on the floor? Did your bump match the flooring? Mine didn't, yet it was the same bump map I used in the kitchen I rendered in Thea.
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

Fort Worth Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1217 View Post
    ...but I think I'll be sticking with Thea for now. For me, Phoebe is just not good enough but I'm sure that it will come in handy for others.
    Of course, you're welcome to stick with Thea. If it works for you, that's all you need. However, it seems a bit premature to dismiss the quality of the new ray tracer. How long did you spend learning the ins and outs of Thea? How long have you spent with Chief X3?
    Keith Jeffery
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com

Keith,

For us Chief users that are not as savvy as some of the render kings on this post ( you guys know who you are!!) can you please post some renders done by chief engineers so we can compare what X2 render did and compare it to x3?

I think this would give those of us who arent as familiar with the renders an idea of how much of a difference the new render is.

Im sure the render experts can see a differences but for those of us who cant see the small differences since were not as familiar, I really think a render of both x2 and x3 would go a long way in helping us see the differences.

Thanks.
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

Pat, yes I did use your bump map: "Castel Wheat_Tumbled Marble 2 bump". Not sure why you got those errors.

Total time of this raytrace was 12:25:16. The first attachment is the raw raytrace, the second is after using the "Adjust Image Properties" tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pat's Kitchen 2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	40939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pat's Kitchen 2 Adjusted.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	40940  
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I still don't like the lighting. Not enough of it, and not placed correctly. Most of my light is comming from 2 light sources, which you can see shining on the ceiling.

Also, I can't figure out how to get the sun to shine directly in the window.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Allen,
    It looks much better!! 12 hours?

I don't know why the bump map didn't work with mine. I tested it it a couple of times and it always gave me an offset. I redid the bump map again from the jpg I used and it still came out offset. Could it be my machine? I've noticed that I'm getting some odd flashing, streaking lines at start-up and I may need another mother board or video card.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Cardin View Post
    Keith,

For us Chief users that are not as savvy as some of the render kings on this post ( you guys know who you are!!) can you please post some renders done by chief engineers so we can compare what X2 render did and compare it to x3?
    Chad, You can look at some Sample Renders here ...http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jeffery View Post
    Of course, you're welcome to stick with Thea. If it works for you, that's all you need. However, it seems a bit premature to dismiss the quality of the new ray tracer. How long did you spend learning the ins and outs of Thea? How long have you spent with Chief X3?
    Keith,
    The quality is way better than PovRay and you all should be congratulated on such an improvement but when comparing not only the quality of the renders but the time it takes to get the quality, other render engines that are solely designed for only high end renders are better.

I looked at all the Sample Renders on Chief's website and I think I can make a fair assessment without having to spend hours learning it.

Chief Architect is an architectural tool while stand alone render engines are designed for rendering so it's not fair for me to expect the same outcome. You all did a great job with the improvement, really you did.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

One thing to keep in mind when looking at ray traces others have done is that the results obtained are often based on a desired look that you may not agree with.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Cardin View Post
    Keith,

Here's an example. The first image is POV. The second is Chief X3 Ray Tracer. I don't think POV holds a candle to the X3 ray tracer.

The third image is what I did in X3 after a little redecorating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaulted_Kitchen_POV.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	40953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaulted-Kitchen_X3.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	40954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vaulted-kitchen.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	40955  
    Susan Jeffery
    Sales and Marketing Assistant
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Susan,

Please describe "redecorating". IT looks a lot different than the first two.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Susan,

Please describe "redecorating". IT looks a lot different than the first two.
    I changed colors, added plants, changed the dining room set, added some art to the walls, added some attractive pendant lights over the island, elongated the pendant light over the dining room, changed the back splash material, added some accessories, and toyed with the lighting a little bit.
    Susan Jeffery
    Sales and Marketing Assistant
    Chief Architect, Inc.

The X3 raytracer is way better than POV.

I can't wait to learn it, and hopefully in the future, render times will decrease...
    Jonathan

I guess it was the lighting that made the difference that I am referring to, along with the wall color. What settings, how long and how much ram? I have 4 gb but am thinking I need 8 gb.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Susan,

Thanks for doing the render comparisons. Thats exactly what I wanted to see is a side by side comparison of x2 vs x3 renders.

Could you tell me what the times were to do both the renders? Im curious since its the same plans and everyone is talking about different times, I would be interested in knowing just how long it would take to do the same exact project.
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5