Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Lew,

Yes, but under what circumstances do you require a "non-polyline"?
    I'm with Glenn here. If the lines have the same weight, layer, line type, and color I'm happy that they join. If any of those attributes are different they will not join.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Glenn:

huh ???

Lew
    Lew,

Can you give me an example of when you would not want 2 lines to join and form a polyline?

And yes, we need the ability to specify line properties (color, weight and type) BEFORE drawing the line on any layer.
    ie, properties by object, not layer.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I'm with Glenn and the Moakster. In the beginning it was a bit disconcerting, but once I accepted the behavior, I would not want it to be otherwise.

So Lew, can you answer Glenn's question? Can anybody answer Glenn's question?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Lew,

Yes, but under what circumstances do you require a "non-polyline"?
    I was working on this today where I had some preliminary Civil work, and in that case you may have straight PL's you need to enter along the same coordinates, but desire to be in separate line segments (lot after lot). However, all I did was draw a circle at the end of each line segment and then let them connect. That way I always had my "marker" known.

Coming from "line by line" apps (such as Vectorworks/AutoCAD), I have to say I now PREFER how Chief handles lines, since most the time I do want them connected. I think the "edit object parts" should include lines made in contiguous segments, but that could be an easy edit for Chief down the "line" (did you catch the joke?).

Does everyone agree?...should we recommend that to Chief? In a nutshell I am saying the "edit object parts" should apply to all line segments drawn by the user. I can't see where that would hurt anything, yet would give greater flexibility.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Johhnyprc,

You can draw your contiguous front property lines as single lines (using the Edit Object Parts tool toggled on), and they will stay that way and not form a polyline until you click on the end to join them.

Likewise, if you have a single front property line covering multiple properties, you can break it at the side boundary lines, this will form a contiguous polyline. If you select any part of it, the whole polyline is selected.
    Now......., click on each section of the polyline tool with the Edit Object Parts toggled on.
    Toggle Edit Object Parts off.
    Now try clicking the line segments - they are all individual line segments and, once again, they won't join to reform the polyline until you click on and end.

I reckon it is pretty cool the way all this works.
    I don't know if it was all by design or it just "happened" by luck - either way, I think it works great and I give credit to the development team at Chief.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glenn you are right on the money. I played with this earlier, but didn't have the sequence right. I guess no need to recommend anything to Chief - works fine.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Now try clicking the line segments - they are all individual line segments and, once again, they won't join to reform the polyline until you click on and end.

Glenn:

this is nice to know

I have placed cad lines to dim to and found it annoying when they would join together

I would then set "edit object line parts"

but that would then apply to all polylines (or so I thought)

I'll pay more attention the next time I play with cad lines

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I sometimes use lines as "drawing lines" - in some instances I want to move one of the lines and because it has created a polyline the other line moves with it.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

Rod,

Not sure I follow 100%, but doesn't Edit Object Parts work?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Hi Glenn,

Yes it does, and thanks for the tip,

I should have quoted you for my example where I don't want two lines to join.

Can you give me an example of when you would not want 2 lines to join and form a polyline?
    whilst your method works it would be handy sometimes if they didn't join (as per my example), thus Lew's option for "non-polyline" would be handy.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)