Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foundations

Dan I just did that and the same thing happens!
    poelcat
    Laptop
    Intel core2 quad Q9550
    Nvida Quadro Fx1600M
    Chief X1/X2
    Solidworks 2010/64 bit
    Catia R18
    Archicad 12/13
    Cinema 4D/64 bit

Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people that are putting us on,
    or imbeciles that really mean it. Mark Twain

Chief trys to be smart about the building cuting through terrain. Certain wall types like railings etc. won't cut a hole. This allows you to build a deck with out taking out the terrain below it while still taking out the terrain for the structure.

The reason the height changes is that the area that cuts the hole is used to auto calculate the terrain.

As near as I can tell it's working as designed.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Thanks Dan, I still don't understand the logic completely. I would think that the room definition would control such things not the wall types.
    poelcat
    Laptop
    Intel core2 quad Q9550
    Nvida Quadro Fx1600M
    Chief X1/X2
    Solidworks 2010/64 bit
    Catia R18
    Archicad 12/13
    Cinema 4D/64 bit

Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people that are putting us on,
    or imbeciles that really mean it. Mark Twain

That's a good point. It does seem logical that room def should control the hole in the terrain.

One other note here is that you can always create a terrain hole from a polyline, if needed, and uncheck the option in terrain to hide terrain intersected by building. Then you have ultimate control.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Quote Originally Posted by poelcat View Post
    Bradley, no I have not sent it to tech yet. I was hoping someone here could explain what was going on first. here is a simple example. go to a 3d view and change the whit wall to invisible and watch what happens.
    Well Mr "P-Cat",
    I tried what you said and got mixed results. Changing to "invisible" replicates your issue and shows terrain(grass) under the structure. Changing the wall to "invisible beam" maintains the blank (hole) in the terrain beneath the structure. I think that Ron's may be correct by saying you need to create a "foundation" level in order for the terrain to behave properly but I didn't try that out yet.

When I changed the wall to "invisible" and "no room definition", I got the same results as when I just changed them to "invisible", eg no hole, just terrain continuous under the structure (except under the separate room).

I also noticed that your 1st floor level is set at 25 9/16" (for what it's worth). Looks like you could get what you want by just using the " invisible beam" designation since "beams" still don't show as beams in 3d (I hope they eventually will, X3? definable real 3d beams?).

Just added/created a foundation, then changed wall to "invisible" and this is the resulting image. If I change from "invisible" to "invisible beam" then there's a hole in the terrain. On the positive side, using the "invisible" tool allows for a raised pier look. Don't understand why the "invisible" designation causes the terrain to think that the room has no definition.-BB

-Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoundationIssuePart6-5-10.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	40779  
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 06-05-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add jpeg image and add extra comments
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Found Foundations

Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

wow thats an interesting problem, i agree it has to be a bug. having to play with the terrain settings seems a weird way of fixing the problem when the terrain is supposed to be generated by the terrain tools themselves (eg countour lines and platforms).

anyway, i have another question for you, i love the design, but why the massive concrete edge beams? its a beautiful timber structure. your eyes room over it and suddenly all this blasted concrete underneath. i understand that putting it up off the ground, on piers or the like, might not be in your interest but i hate mixing the concrete and timber exteriors in this way. (excuse my bias, i am a design and technology teacher by degree...and obviously....i love the natural timber look). in anycase it's your fault im complaining, you entranced me with the lovely interior structure!

Adam,
    if you're looking at my example, I used that type of foundation just to check P-Cats's foundation issue. There is no design intent in any of my comments or regarding the illustrated issue. I just wanted to see how the terrain and foundation were interacting in the different scenarios.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4