How did I get a Very small perspective view

I all at once got a very small perspective overview, so small that I can not see it. I did a orthographic view and it was very small also, but i was able to see the dot and bring it in closer. Does any one know what causes this? It was working just fine and then this happened.

awenger
    Chief X2

It may be that something got placed in your model very far away from the main part of it. You can also get stray attic walls shooting out of roof designs that aren't closed/joined properly. In plan view when you hit the fill screen button, does the plan all of sudden get very small too?

You can zip and post the plan here too for someone to look at as long as you can get it under 2MB.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Thanks for the response Bryce. When I am in plan view and hit fill screen it just fills screen as usual. but when I have a perspective view on and then hit fill screen in plan view, the camera is way out from the building. Can not find any extra items and it is over 2mb.

awenger
    x2

When you zoom in on the 3D view, can you see any sharp, spiked, planes projecting out from the model? They typically happen between the roof and the top of the wall somewhere. I refer to them as little bits of attic wall that escape out from under a roof not joined properly.

Also, when you do fill screen in plan and the camera is way out there, try marquee selecting areas around the plan and see if you can find anything. The item may be far, far too small to see in plan view and you might never find it just zooming in and out and looking for it. The culprit will likely be somewhere around the perimeter of that screen.

The only other thing I can think of is to check how far from 0,0 coordinates your model is. Never run into that myself, but have read other posts that indicate this being an issue sometimes.

Or, just send it in to tech support. They can almost always find the source of these kinds of problems.
    Last edited by sutcac; 04-28-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Chief X6 Beta

I have had the problems like you said before, but I can not see anything like that now. I deleted all the roads, turn off the program and on again. It now seems to be coming in closer. I do have been having weird things happen at times and on/off seems to fix them. I will check into the 0,0 cord. thing. Thanks for the info.

Win7 32bit seems to be a bit more buggy then xp was, maybe that is a bit of it.

andrew
    x2
    Dual core

Quote Originally Posted by awenger View Post
    Thanks for the response Bryce. When I am in plan view and hit fill screen it just fills screen as usual. but when I have a perspective view on and then hit fill screen in plan view, the camera is way out from the building. Can not find any extra items and it is over 2mb.

awenger
    x2
    The culprit may be on a non displayed layer. Go to your "all on" layerset, open the layer display options dbx and make sure all layers are on, and check all your floors with fill screen.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

The problem here is always an object placement or size issue. There are lot's of objects in chief so sometimes it's hard to track down. In many cases it shows in plan view on a particular floor but sometimes it does not.

To start with I approach the problem two directions.

1) See if you can isolate the problem to a particular floor. Do a floor overview on each floor, including the attic to determine what floor it's on.

2) See if you can isolate the problem to a particular layer. A lot of times the problem is on the default cad layer, turn it off for the camera view and see what happens.

If I can't narrow it down this way it's time to make a copy of the plan and start deleting objects. I try to divide the problem down by cutting it in half each time.

If you can't solve it send it to support we'll track it down for you.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

I just recently switched to Win7 32 myself and actually think X2 runs faster and smoother in general. Win7 also seems to multi-task better. But, just my anecdotal opinion.

Good luck tracking that down. Once you find it, you'll likely be able to track it down more quickly next time around. At least that's what I've found.

Chief X6 Beta