Hybrid View

i understand your question adam. as an design and technology teacher by training, and since i thought this forum section was for education purposes, i appreciate your need to produce accurate cabinet drawings. as a teacher i would expect my student, wanting to design and make a cabinet for a school or college project, to be able to produce a detail set of drawings. my answer to you...don't use an architectural drawing program to create details drawings for furniture, cabinets and the like. like david has said above, chief is meant for concept drawings when inserting such objects into a plan and not detailed engineering drawings of items inside buildings. this in no way suggests that the blocks inserted into chief drawings aren't accurate, quite the opposite is the case. however, to create the blocks accurately, you really need a CAD program like vectorworks, turbocad, or autocad (to name a couple of well known ones here in Australian secondary schools).

having said that, i note that vectorworks architect is also a full blown CAD and architectural drawing program in the one. that makes it an incredibly powerful option to chief...i wonder when chief programmers will consider going down that pathway as it is a big failling of an otherwise awesome program? i cant fail chiefs way of thinking and doing. it really does tend to allow the operator to create in the same way he thinks...that really does save time.

kind regards
    adam

OK Adam, after a comment like that, I would like to hear why you feel that Chief is not a "full blown CAD program".
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
    OK Adam, after a comment like that, I would like to hear why you feel that Chief is not a "full blown CAD program".
    Caught your question and wanted to add my own input here. "Full Blown" CAD program can mean many things to many people. In my opinion there are several short comings but the most obvious and glaring falls to accuracy. Yes, the need for anything less than 1/8th's in home construction (in the field) is nuts. The lumber alone has so many variations that the need for rounding is obvious.

On the flip side, a "Full Blown" CAD program would offer accuracy into the thousandths and better. Enough so that cumulative rounding isn't a problem. When dealing with the needed accuracy for millwork and custom cabinetry, especially in areas such as radius corners and curved surfaces, Chief does not have it. Chief was never intended for such in the first place, at least not up to my current version of the software that is.