Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.54 fuzzy text

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I just had to replace my hard drive so obviously I had to reload chief. The problem I'm having is when I zoom out once the text gets so small (both words and # in the dimensions) it turns fuzzy at a certain point, zoom back out one click and its clear again. I didn't have this problem before and the computer guy says its nothing to do with the hard drive.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

you might need to activate font smoothing\ aka ClearType.....especially on an LCD monitor

here are a couple of sites to help you out:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-041.html

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/step1.aspx
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 03-28-2010 at 06:38 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Lew,
    In most cases, those who really learn everything there is to learn about a specific program can pretty much do everything they might need to do and, most likely much faster and better than someone who never really learns the current program version before upgrading to the next. I can assure you I can certainly hold my own and do so with a much older version than the latest and greatest.
    I really don't care about any digs towards me. It's the tendency that anyone who hasn't upgraded tends to get the "treatment" from the locals here. There isn't a justification for this. Let it rest please.

Max, i can certainly agree with your sentiment
    Tim O'Donnell

Max:

sorry, no offense intended

just expressing an opinion counter to the one you expressed

when you express opinions, not everyone is going to agree with it

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

JimC is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim O'Donnell View Post
    you might need to activate font smoothing\ aka ClearType.....especially on an LCD monitor

here are a couple of sites to help you out:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-041.html

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/step1.aspx
    Bingo! That did it. Thanks alot Tim.
    JimC
    V 9.54 (started with Chief 97)

In most cases, those who really learn everything there is to learn about a specific program can pretty much do everything they might need to do and, most likely much faster and better than someone who never really learns the current program version before upgrading to the next.
    Max,
    I agree w/ that.
    However, you'd be way behind any equally skilled user of the current version as far as speed, accuracy, & productivity; particularly v10 & earlier.
    JMO.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

JimC is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign View Post
    Max,
    I agree w/ that.
    However, you'd be way behind any equally skilled user of the current version as far as speed, accuracy, & productivity; particularly v10 & earlier.
    JMO.
    Jim
    For my general uses (just what is needed to get a permit for mostly single story residential and shop drawings) I don't think that is correct. If you do a lot of renderings, real high end jobs and so forth, I'm sure that is correct.
    JimC
    V 9.54 (started with Chief 97)

JimC,
    Do very little rendering for $$, mostly just moderate single family homes & remodeling w/ Chief; pretty much all day, every day.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

I am truly amazed that my preference of 9.5 over the last few versions of Chief seems to generate a bit of competitiveness.

The thing is I don't care how fast others can do this or that on "x" software version. I happen to like where I am and don't feel the need to change, at least for now. I get my jobs done and make a good wage for doing so. Most importantly, I enjoy it. That said I cannot, for the life of me, come up with a reason to change nor can I justify the expense a change will incur (X2). I do currently own versions 10 and X1 and don't really care for the "feel" for lack of a better explanation. Some of you may know exactly what I mean.

Anyway, if you are so motivated, then upgrade away. You won't hear any fuss from me. I just ask for the same treatment in reverse. Not really so much for me but for the many other users who post from time to time.

I like to come here and read some of the posts. I don't really have much to contribute as far as the latest and greatest anymore but every once in a while someone comes around with something that interests or intrigues me, It's fun. I also like to laugh when some folks tend to take themselves so very serious as well as along with those who poke fun at themselves and others. It really does take all kinds.

In closing, this is an excellent place to learn all about "live and let live". This isn't a cop out or a lack of principles, it's just a good way to get along with others by paying attention to the things that really matter rather than those that don't, such as which software version a person might prefer.
    Last edited by Max; 04-01-2010 at 06:07 AM.