Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.54 fuzzy text

JimC is offline Registered User Promoted

9.54 fuzzy text

I just had to replace my hard drive so obviously I had to reload chief. The problem I'm having is when I zoom out once the text gets so small (both words and # in the dimensions) it turns fuzzy at a certain point, zoom back out one click and its clear again. I didn't have this problem before and the computer guy says its nothing to do with the hard drive.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by JimC; 03-23-2010 at 06:42 AM.
    JimC
    V 9.54 (started with Chief 97)

Jim,

I never had this specific problem with any version of Chief but it does sound like a video card problem so the first thing to do is to make sure you are running the latest software drivers for that hardware usually offered free from the manufacturer's website.

Visual display problems of any kind (that you can do something about) are based in the software display drivers.
    They create a communication bridge between your hardware, applications and operating system.

You did not say how or with what you redid your PC which with software as old as Version 9.5 is important.
    For instance I have 9.5 installed on my old laptop which runs Windows 2000 and on that machine it runs like butter (really smooth and good).
    I have it installed on my most modern PC in XP Pro 32 and it runs badly, flickers and crashes a lot no matter what I have tried.
    9.5 will not even install within my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate environment due to dongle driver software incompatibility, not being supported by W7 x64 by the Hasp company.

Antique software does best on older operating systems and using older hardware and does not work well in newer operating systems and on newer hardware, so keep that in mind and act accordingly.

DJP

PS: depending on which operating system you have there might be a utility or adjustment you can make via the "Control Panel" under the section of the video card to sharpen text. I am not an expert on the exact capabilities of various OS's or video card makers but it is worth looking for to see if there are sharpness adjustments you can make within the existing controls you have available. Looking is always the first and cheapest action to take
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 03-23-2010 at 06:51 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

The hard drive was the only thing changed, the operating system is XP which is what it was before.
    The driver is updated.
    The setting on the control panel appears to be on a quality setting.
    JimC

Sounds like the updated driver may be causing the problem. If everything was working well with the older driver, why not try reinstalling it?
    Warren Hirsch

It could be the screen refresh rate.
    I remember having blurry text a long time ago.
    think it was setting it to a lower number that worked..

How are other programs looking?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I just had to replace my hard drive so obviously I had to reload chief. The problem I'm having is when I zoom out once the text gets so small (both words and # in the dimensions) it turns fuzzy at a certain point, zoom back out one click and its clear again. I didn't have this problem before and the computer guy says its nothing to do with the hard drive.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jim,
    Since you replaced your hard drive I would assume you replaced everything on it as well. Some actually use the Windows utility that will transfer everything over just as it was before but most don't.
    My point is that you obviously do not have the current set up exactly the same as before. I would check the video driver to see if it matches what was there. Don't read this as my saying go and get the latest and greatest because your chief is older (antique? nah! The user makes the software work for them not the other way around) even if it is "greater". Only use what worked before and call it good if you can determine what that was.
    Last edited by Max; 03-23-2010 at 09:28 PM.

because your chief is older (antique?

While it's possible to watch tv on a 1950's or 60's (or even later) tv I doubt if the experience would be enjoyable

yet, back then it was "great"

As the saying goes "once you've seen the elephant it's hard to go back to the farm"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    because your chief is older (antique?

While it's possible to watch tv on a 1950's or 60's (or even later) tv I doubt if the experience would be enjoyable

yet, back then it was "great"

As the saying goes "once you've seen the elephant it's hard to go back to the farm"

Lew
    As a design/build custom builder, I use CA to create plans for permits. A convenience I do use, is the 3d to help customers visualize what something will look like. I feel like I am efficient with it.
    I also use it alot for shop drawings to show the crew exactly how I want something done.
    I have also used it to edit cad drawings to be used on a cnc to cut out stations for a 31' offshore power catamaran that I'm building.
    After seeing how cool that was I had a job which was going to be done by hand, but I drew the cad for the cnc to cut the parts to build a cherry counter top with a 10' radius corner and 4' strait ends. It consisted of arched 1x4's cut from 1x8's. All the joints and edges were perfect.
    So I have fun with it to. It seems to work for what I need it to do without having to take time out to deal with a the learning curve of new programs. The new ones will obviousely do more but I doubt they will do that much better for my needs then what I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09-12-12 (4).JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	39158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	39159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email cherry top (9).JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	39160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email cherry top (10).JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	39161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch pilot profile.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	39162  

Last edited by JimC; 03-24-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    JimC

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj View Post
    It could be the screen refresh rate.
    I remember having blurry text a long time ago.
    think it was setting it to a lower number that worked..

How are other programs looking?
    Every thing else seems to be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Jim,
    Since you replaced your hard drive I would assume you replaced everything on it as well. Some actually use the Windows utility that will transfer everything over just as it was before but most don't.My point is that you obviously do not have the current set up exactly the same as before. I would check the video driver to see if it matches what was there. Don't read this as my saying go and get the latest and greatest because your chief is older (antique? nah! The user makes the software work for them not the other way around) even if it is "greater". Only use what worked before and call it good if you can determine what that was.
    I wish he would've transferred it that way I was unaware of that capability.
    It seems like evertime you get good and comfy with the computer, something happens and upsets everything.

As I think about it more wasn't there a setting that only let the text get so small when you zoomed out?

Thanks
    Last edited by JimC; 03-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    JimC

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    [B]..."once you've seen the elephant it's hard to go back to the farm"...
    Lew,
    In most cases, those who really learn everything there is to learn about a specific program can pretty much do everything they might need to do and, most likely much faster and better than someone who never really learns the current program version before upgrading to the next. I can assure you I can certainly hold my own and do so with a much older version than the latest and greatest.
    I really don't care about any digs towards me. It's the tendency that anyone who hasn't upgraded tends to get the "treatment" from the locals here. There isn't a justification for this. Let it rest please.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    ...I wish he would've transferred it that way I was unaware of that capability.
    It seems like every time you get good and comfy with the computer, something happens and upsets everything.

As I think about it more wasn't there a setting that only let the text get so small when you zoomed out?...
    I couldn't agree more. I got to where I refuse to allow the auto updates to run due to glitches happening after almost every update. Once the computer is set the way I want it I tend to "lock it down" in order to keep it just as it is!

It's amazing how many techs don't use the files and settings transfer utility. I guess due to time and the tendency to force the user to handle all software other than the OS installation. Even with the OS install no tech ever seems to take the time and double check Events for errors. I best get of my platform now!

As to the text zoom I am not sure what you are referring to?

There is a display size for dimensions that will keep the number from getting to small if that's what you want..

Don't think there is one for text..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj View Post
    There is a display size for dimensions that will keep the number from getting to small if that's what you want..

Don't think there is one for text..
    That may be satisfactory for now. Do you recall how to do it?

I can't read it well when it gets that small anyway but it use to be crisp and not fuzzy which is annoying to me.

Thanks
    JimC

Jim
    In X2 it's under the dimension defaults.."Display size in Pixels" no idea what it is in 9.5..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Wasn't that so it must be something to do with the video card.

Thanks all
    JimC