Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tile Floor Question

Want to have a 20x20" tile floor on diagonal with checker pattern of light and dark tiles.. how would I change the different tiles to light and dark with little effort?

Mike, look and see if you can find anything that has the look you need in vinyl flooring too. You can change it to diagonal in the render tab. You can change the size too. I have oustide libraries with flooring not packaged with Chief.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

But..

No way to change individual tiles to form a checker pattern that look like tile with texture?

Yes you can. Kinda depends on how much time you want to spend doing this. You can place individual slabs, solids or whatever and place them and assign materials. I've done custom splashes and tile bands that are composed of multiple things...time consuming but doable.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

May we have your name, and some information about the software and hardware you are using?

It is really helpful to us if you go to your user profile, and create a signature line that includes your name, your software and version info, and some details about your hardware package. See my signature line here for an example.

If you want that floor to look "just OK" in a camera view, your best route is to do as Tommy suggested in his last post, and put an array of tiles on your floor, one by one, using the slab tool. Since you can overlap slabs, you could place one large room-sized slab at, say, 3/8" thickness, give it a "grout" texture, and then make your "tile slabs" all 1/2" thickness. Your tiles can be textured any way you want.

If you want more photorealism, for a really well done POV-Ray render, you will need to do more.

There are many websites that offer texture images as downloads, and if you can be lucky to find one that meets your standards for color and pattern, you can use one of those in Chief. The one I attached here is one I got at a site like I am describing, and shows a pattern for 1x1 glass tiles that one might use for bathroom walls or for kitchen backsplashes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black and white glass tile tiled 17w x 16h.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	38728  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Hi McAffey,
    You will need to put some effort into it. Do you have a paint program like Photoshop or Gimp?

If so, take your material and area select each tile in the paint program and adjust the square's hue from there. You're going to want a large enough checkerboard pattern so that it won't look too repetitive.

If you can't find a checkerboard pattern large enough, then while in your paint program, resize your canvas and copy and paste the material to fill the canvas until you get a large enough area to suit the look. You can find a black and white checkerboard by searching images. When you finish the material in your paint program, resize it but not too small if you expanded your canvas.

You will have this material for future use as well.

Pat
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Pat is right too if you want to do this by making a texture. The hardest part is getting it to tile right in a render as with any texture you create.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    Pat is right too if you want to do this by making a texture. The hardest part is getting it to tile right in a render as with any texture you create.
    Hi Tommy,
    McAffey can get it to tile right if he adjusts the XY origins. What I would do to get the 20x20 dimension is after placing the material in the Chief plan, make a 20" square from a solid...just to have something to measure by then start adjusting the size of the material until it will look right then angle the flooring a 45 degrees.

Pat
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

Fort Worth Texas

Hi Pat, this is all probably not what Mike wants to hear unfortunitley (spelling doesn't look right?).
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

If he is wanting a tan colored alternating tile there is one in Chief that would be quite easy to fix up.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    Hi Pat, this is all probably not what Mike wants to hear unfortunitley (spelling doesn't look right?).
    Tommy,
    If he (I'm assuming a "he") can find a multi colored pattern such as this one, he could also put it in the paint program and desaturate the image. It will automatically give a variance of color.

I'm not sure this pic will be a good candidate for floor tile but it's an example of what I mean.

Name:	multi color squares.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	38736  
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

From Chief library, Floor tile, terra cotta alternating, edited to rotate 45, resized so each tile is 20 x 20, no work done to origin.

Note how the stretching blew up the grout joints, and how the blow-up made the imaging more "paint-like."

But heck, let's face it, that's all that "texturing" is, just a photo of something that has been stretched out on a surface.

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	38738  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    From Chief library, Floor tile, terra cotta alternating, edited to rotate 45, resized so each tile is 20 x 20, no work done to origin.

Note how the stretching blew up the grout joints, and how the blow-up made the imaging more "paint-like."

But heck, let's face it, that's all that "texturing" is, just a photo of something that has been stretched out on a surface.
    Gene,
    From what I'm reading, it seems he wants a random variation of light and dark. I could be wrong but that's how I read his post.

Using the origin on some materials may be needed. He would then be able to position his grout lines where he wants.

Pat
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Yup I've done the individual tile thing not so difficult.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=14386
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

would the distributed objects tools work

on one of the videos covering this tool CA shows how to distribute one set of objects and then another and then another with different spacings to cover an area with a variety of objects

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)