Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Room Definition

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes Drafting View Post
    See attached...

Oh, those things.... well strip down the plan if you have to, post it, and I would guess I could build that without the problem..... I think.... let me try.
    Oh oh, am I going to have to eat crow? Let's see.

I suppose the issue is do you need to use an invisible wall, in other words what is the invisible wall for.... to define the ceiling (there is a better way)... is it to define the floor material ( there is ANOTHER way... maybe).....is it to build the half wall with an opening above it (I don't know)..... oh heck, let me give it a shot.
    Last edited by dshall; 04-26-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Shouldn't matter what purpose you are doing it for - it's invisible and thus should not affect anything you do and therefore certainly should not require a workaround to fix a problem.

I am truly hoping that you guys in X3 are no longer experiencing this problem that those of us in earlier versions are contending with.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Shouldn't matter what purpose you are doing it for - it's invisible and thus should not affect anything you do and therefore certainly should not require a workaround to fix a problem.

I am truly hoping that you guys in X3 are no longer experiencing this problem that those of us in earlier versions are contending with.
    You are correct, it should not matter the purpose of invisible wall. I suppose I was wondering if the invisible wall was req'd so as to eliminate the workaround altogether.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post

My X3 definitely does not get that behaviour:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invisible walls.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	46966  
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

My mistake. If I exactly mimic your angled walls, I do get it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inviso.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	46968
    However, if you take your invisible wall and ctrl drag it so that it is almost out in front of the other wall, but still touching, it almost makes it go away:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invisible wall 2.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	46967
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I have a few invisible walls here.
    I colored the floors a different color in a couple of rooms.
    I had to readjust the floor height to make the base board line up (which is also what happens in construction when you have two floor surfaces of different thicknesses meet.)

I'm not seeing the base board "hole".

Mike

Name:	invisible walls.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	46974  
    X3

Mike, try getting 3 walls to intersect, like our examples above. I think you will find you get the baseboard hole.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I make my invisible wall a single layer 1/16" thick. The void in the baseboard is hardly noticeable.

Dorothy
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by dhowardaia View Post
    i make my invisible wall a single layer 1/16" thick. The void in the baseboard is hardly noticeable.

Dorothy
    "brilliant!!!"
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by dhowardaia View Post
    I make my invisible wall a single layer 1/16" thick. The void in the baseboard is hardly noticeable.

Dorothy
    Thanks Dorothy but I tried it and this is what I got. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks, Mike

Name:	CEILING 42711.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	46982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLOOR 42711.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	46983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLAN 42711.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	46984  
    Michael Rhodes
    Rhodes Design & Drafting
    Flagstaff, Arizona

X4,
    Intel Q6600 Quad-Core @ 2.40GHz,
    6GB RAM, ATI 5770, Windows 7 - 64 bit

Mike, I also do what Dorothy does, but if that's not enough I make a tiny angle...see attachments

Name:	invisible_wall_1.PNG 
Views:	104 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	46987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invisible_wall_2.PNG 
Views:	112 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	46988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invisible_wall_3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	46989  

Thanks. I'll just use a polyline solid to fill in the gap. I was just trying express my frustration that, for the money we pay for the program and SSA, there wouldnt be little glitches like this. Dont get me wrong...I wouldnt use any other design & drafting software. I've been using Chief since 6.0 - it's awesome!
    Michael Rhodes
    Rhodes Design & Drafting
    Flagstaff, Arizona

X4,
    Intel Q6600 Quad-Core @ 2.40GHz,
    6GB RAM, ATI 5770, Windows 7 - 64 bit

...And with the tile floor...

I know, work-round...wish, we didn't have to do it...

Name:	invisible_wall_4.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	46990  

Work arounds or not - if you guys using X3 are still encountering problems then the Chief Doods need to fix this pronto.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

The only way to define separate room areas is to use walls, invisible or not. Regardless of how other programs work, this is the way Chief is designed to work and always has been.

The idea that an invisible wall should not change anything does not really make any sense. If you don't want anything changed in the model, then don't use a wall, use a CAD line instead. The whole purpose of using an invisible wall is that you want to affect the model in some way. For example, maybe you want a change in floor height, ceiling height, a material, or any one of many other room properties.

The only real problem that I am seeing is that you have found a case where the automatic room molding is not what you would like it to be. Whenever you find a problem like this, you should always report this as a bug directly to tech support (tech support does not usually monitor this forum for problems). You should always include the plan that demonstrates the problem because it may be difficult to reproduce in a new plan.

Also, if you ever find a case where the automatic room molding does not do what you want it to, I would recommend that you do the same thing you do when any of the other automatic tools don't do what you want, you use the manual tools.

Any room molding can be converted into a manual molding polyline by selecting the room and using the "Make Room Molding Polyline" tool on the edit toolbar. Once you have converted your room molding into a manual polyline, you can modify it to go exactly where you want. You can also manually draw your own molding polylines but I think it is much easier to start by converting the automatic one.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com