Hybrid View

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

copy/reflect question

There are times when I go to copy/reflect an item and as soon as I hit the copy icon in the edit toolbar, at the bottom of the screen, the toolbar disappears before I can hit the reflect icon. Do I need to check a box somewhere or what? I don't think I'm doing anything different, but I must be. It also seems that if I used an item to make a copy/reflect earlier I can't use that same item to copy/reflect another time without having the same problem with the edit toolbar disappearing as soon as the copy icon is hit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry

I think you need to place the copy before you can reflect it. I sometimes use the "Copy and Paste in Place" tool (the copy will be selected) and then either the Reflect About Object tool or Transform Replicate. You can also just use the Transform Replicate tool to start with but you may need to pre-set a point marker to get what you want.

Hope that helps.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Larry -- I do hit the copy first. "Copy and Place in Place"? I'll have to look that up. I don't remember that one. (CA 10.8?)
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    Larry -- I do hit the copy first. "Copy and Place in Place"? I'll have to look that up. I don't remember that one. (CA 10.8?)
    Sorry, missed the ver. 10.8 note. Think the copy paste in place started in X1.
    Larry

stationery.

Larry,
    I have that happen sometimes in v10 as well. I have found that if I escape from that command, do something else that requires a command and then go back to the copy, reflect it will stay on screen. It usually happens to me when I have used the reflect command and then aborted it before the process is complete and then go and try again before doing something else. Clear as mud?
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

Just to clarify. When you select an object and hit the copy tool you still need to place the copy by clicking in the window before you can reflect it. Pretty sure that was the case in Version 10 as well. To reflect, after you select the object and hit the reflect tool, you then select the edge or the object or the line you want to reflect about.

It many cases it will be easier to use the Transform Replicate tool to make a copy and reflect it in one step. There are several options on how to reflect the object. It has bee a while since I have used version 10 so I am not sure all of the features I mentioned are in that version.
    Larry

stationery.

Gary -- That mud really gets "slimy" at times! Been playing around with copy/reflect alot for the past 10-15 min. and it's doing it alot. What about X2? I'm suppose to be able to high speed internet by Feb 9th. Once I'm up and running I'll be serious about getting X2. Up till now, with my very slow dial-up SSA and X2 was out of the question. Price wise it's going to be quite a "hit" to the pocket book (after Feb 1st) considering the economy and slow work load.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

I still have version 10 on my notebook. I will take a look when I get a chance.
    Last edited by Larry Kumpost; 02-01-2010 at 04:08 AM.
    Larry

stationery.

You might need to restart Chief if its happening a lot. Have you tried what I suggested above yet? No, I haven't had this happen at all in X2. You know you can get the upgrade and just wait the week or so until you download it. Just a thought.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

Larry -- I think I'm doing everything as you say. 1- select object 2- go to edit toolbar at bottom of screen and hit copy 3- then hit the reflect icon (that is if it doesn't disappear first). One thing I notice is that I can go to another item (which may be even the same type of item) select it and everything works correctly. It seems that if the item I'm trying to select was a copy or that it had been selected before for replication are the items that are giving me heartburn. I know I could us the transform replicate in some instances but it requires many more steps depending where I want to move the item. All I want is it to work the way it's suppose to.--sigh--
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Between V10 and X1 a massive rewrite was done of our editing tools. The kind of odd behavior you are talking about was very common before X1. Starting with X1 these types of odd behavior are much less common and the behavior you are talking about has never been seen as far as I know.

Copy/Reflect in particular was rewritten in X1 to be much more predictable. In X3 we have added one more little tidbit to it that makes it even more powerful...

Multiple copy was also improved in X1.

Don't let dialup deter you from SSA. We can still ship you DVDs if you need them. There is a small charge for that, but it is well worth it with dialup. In fact many who have fast internet connections still get DVDs so they have a backup.

Also, X3 will make downloading what you need much more tolerable. Even on a dialup connection it will be possible to download Chief and access libraries without waiting hours or days for a download.

Getting SSA today will entitle you to the X3 upgrade when it comes.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Doug--I know I could get the DVD For X2. It was all the training videos that was online that was the real problem. It took my dial-up more than 20 min. to download a 30 sec. training video. I asked if I could get the training videos on a DVD and I never got a response. As a matter of fact I was completely ignored. Finally, later this month, I am to have high speed internet available in my rural area. I'll finally be able to upgrade and hopefully get rid of some of these problems with my current version (CA 10.8). It's just going to cost! I think it wasn't very good business not to compromise with customers in my situation with slow dial-up internet. I can't believe I was the only one. It has left a very bad "taste" in my mouth with CA. I'll get over it and move on. I've had my own business for 38 yrs. now and I've learned not to dwell on the past. I'm just looking forward to X3 and hearing about some more "good tidbits".---S-T-A-I-R-S!!!!
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670