Hybrid View

I've seen plenty of EIFS, residential and commercial, . . .

. . . and while there are control joints evident in the exterior cladding "panels," they are not that frequent or evident.

Jim Lynch has shown you that they can in fact be modeled, but you are in for a lot of work to do the polyline solid work on elevations, just so that you have a true 3D representation of this in a model.

Go to the Sto and Parex and Dryvit websites, really explore the sites to see as many of the job photos as you can, and you will see only a small number of these joints. It is not that jobs don't have them. Many do. But they are not a big feature of what one sees.

Particularly in residential work. Unless houses are really big, their elevations just aren't big enough to require these joints. I went through many dozens of house images to find one with joints showing, and I snipped it and attached it here. Sorry about the background . . . as I was sloppy with my screen capture.

If you architect clients are willing to pay for the time it takes to do the p'line solids on elevations so as to get some 3D realism, then by all means do the work. But if I was paying the bill, I would want to know what I am paying for.

If I listened to you telling me about what this would take, I might decide instead to have you model this for 3D without control joints, but then certainly show, in black and white 2D elevations that are part of the construction docs, the joints, plus their detail callouts, then CAD details to show everything about the joints.

But hey, what do I know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	36738  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage