Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Score lines in stucco or eifs

I am looking more in the lines of eifs, but how would you show a score line?

Thank you,

Angela
    Angela
    vX2 (latest and greatest)

How about just a CAD line.

Are you talking about construction joints to minimize cracking?
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I am looking for "v" joints for looks - remember I am working for architects

They are using the "score" lines to break up the mono blank wall with eifs. "Adds interest and matches the windows" (the one I was working on yesterday that you so kindly helped me out on). I am not sure how much would show in a rendering though.
    Angela

You will find answers to your question by doing a search for "lines in stucco"

Dean
    Dean Miller
    Freeport Florida
    x1 / X2 Trial.2005 HP Pavilion
    dv 4000 series XP SP2
    1.6 GHv celeron 512 MB
    Intel 950 video(integrated)

Angela:

Here is a prior thread with excellent information:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....control+joints

In that stucco and EIFS are quite different, I would try to contact one of the more common EIFS product manufacturers you see being installed in your area ... Dryvit is a common one in my area. Check out their spec's and installation requirements and call their tech rep for advice.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Helavagal View Post
    I am looking more in the lines of eifs, but how would you show a score line?

Thank you,

Angela
    I think I would use a molding. I have used this method for showing expansion joints in concrete patios and it seems to work fairly well.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

can i recess the molding to look like a part of the eifs has been cut out?
    Angela

No, not easily, but you can use a 1"X1" molding and recess it into the wall 3/4" so that 1/4" sticks out and from a distance you really do not pick up on that.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

beveled divisions

you could use a different wall type and make the/stucco/eifs out of a polyline solid. I will post an example

bevel

not to scale, just an example
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eifs bevel.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	36723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eifs bevel 2.JPG 
Views:	436 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	36724  

Angela:

Here's a Dryvit detail for an EIFS horizontal expansion joint to give you an idea how it might be done during actual installation:

http://www.dryvit.com/fileshare/doc/...l/ds170_18.pdf

They have lots of other details for all their products on their website:

http://www.dryvit.com/elit.asp?country_id=1
    Curt Johnson

X5

Angela,

I may have an idea but need to know more:

Are the V shape recessed areas horizontal, vertical or both?

If horizontal, do they cut through wall openings or are they continuous above the openings?
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

The aesthetic v joint will be horizontal. All they are using it for is to break up the massive eifs wall
    Angela

Start with a newly created wall with all layer except your finished layer of ELF. Create a grid pattern in elevation view for all your joints, convert those lines to "V" grove (molding you created)to represent your joints. Prior to this offset all your lines that will become your expansion joints a given amount in both directions to be used for snap points. (distance depends on your joint profile). Put these lines on a separate layer. Couple of ways to do the next step, either clean up all the intersection and convert the newly created boxes to solids 1/8" thick or whatever your finished thickness is. Or using the lines offset as guide lines to drag solids/slabs/soffits whatever method you prefer, to fit each shape. Set your thickness and material accordingly, If they are well planned and layed out evenly, you should be able to copy quite quickly.
    For windows and doors you'll have to use holes in solids. Or plan around the windows and doors.
    See example , just a quickly but I think you'll get the idea. BTW, I didn't create a new wall, that's why there are 2 layers of stucco. Elininate the finished surface on your wall. The inserts will be your finish,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vJOINT.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	36778  
    Last edited by DougM; 01-11-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Design & Build, New Jersey
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X6 Build 16.1.1.9 X64 w/SSA
    X5 Build 15.2.1.3 X64 w/SSA
    X4 Build 14.3.2.2 X64 w/SSA
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium
    A Pool Cue , a Harley, a Hammer & a Camera
    Good Isn't Enough... When Better is Possible.

Angela:

In that case I would just make custom molding profiles, one that cuts at openings and one (or more if necessary) for above (and below) the openings. If the windows are the same height as the doors then you only need 2 moldings.

You can then create exterior molding polylines. For those at the openings you can break them and turn of the segments at the openings.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.