Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
    Thanks Lew.

When the Spybots start using proper grammar you can ask them what city and state they work in.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

When the Spybots start using proper grammar you can ask them what city and state they work in.

Val :

Huh ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post

Val :

Huh ???

Lew
    First time visitors to forums who post links (to infected web sites) are often not people. The technical term is Spambot, Spybot or WebCrawler.

It may be hard to believe, but when most of these post come in, they're created by a very clever but sinister application which "crawls" the internet.

This thread just happens to include a high number of links due to the content, and the spambots are honing in on the subject matter trying to offer helpful links as well.

from Wickipedia....

Forum spambots surf the web, looking for guestbooks, wikis, blogs, forums and other types of web forms which it can then use to submit bogus content. These often use OCR technology to bypass CAPTCHAs. Some spam messages are targeted towards readers and can involve techniques of target marketing or even phishing, making it hard to tell real posts from the bot generated ones. Other spam message are not meant to be read by humans, but are instead posted to increase the number of hyperlinks to a particular web site, to boost its search engine ranking.
    This category of spambot has gained considerable notoriety since November 2006, with the introduction of XRumer, a forum and wiki spambot which can often bypass many of the safeguards administrators use to reduce the amount of spam posted.
    One way to prevent spambots from creating automated posts is to require the poster to confirm their intention to post via e-mail. Since most spambot scripts use a fake e-mail address when posting, any email confirmation request is unlikely to be successfully routed to them. Some spambots will pass this step by providing a valid email address and use it for validation, mostly via webmail services. Using methods such as security questions are also proven to be effective in curbing posts generated by spambots, as they are usually unable to answer it upon registering.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

Val:

interesting

I would have assumed it was a person since it seems personalized ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

In the past, many hardware recommendations for Chief have included discussions of video cards. In my last computer the video card was the single most expensive component. I do not see that being discussed now. Can anyone comment on this as I about to order a new system?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Friesen View Post
    In the past, many hardware recommendations for Chief have included discussions of video cards. In my last computer the video card was the single most expensive component. I do not see that being discussed now. Can anyone comment on this as I about to order a new system?
    Doug, you might find this link useful:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

For Chief you want to lean toward a higher end card but one chart at the link above also deals with best bang for the buck "Best Value Video Card Chart".
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Morining Chieftains,

I'm trying to spec a mid range PC. How do you feel about these attached from HP?

The PC is for an Architect I sub with who insists on HP so I'm limited there. Trying to find an HP that has the Geforce GTX 580 as an option with no luck so far - what's your take on this card?

Also would like to spec him the best 11" x 17" printer for colour renders out there now. Would love to here your opinions on this also.

Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC SPECS 1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	47299  
    Last edited by cadstudio; 05-12-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Jay:

specs look good

but I can't speak to the cpu or video card as I haven't studied since I bought my PC's in 2008

what is the price of that PC ???

not sure if it's the "best" but it is "functional"
    check out the Brother MFC-6490W - lots of features

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Jay:

The GTX 580 is a high end card and at a cost of about $500 it should be. See the PassMark Benchmark charts (link in my previous post) it is rated as #1. The question is if you need, or want, to spend that much. Did a quick search and read that the GT 440, however, is a recently added version of an older line of Nvidia cards, cost less than $100, and is described as being "Entry Level". Not something I would want for Chief.

The i7 2600 CPU is very good performance at only $300 but, if you price components, you can get the un-clocked version (i7 2600K) for less than $20 more. That is the CPU I currently intend to use. Not sure what HP would charge for the upgrade.

One other thought. I am looking at going to a SSD for my primary (C: ) drive for the OS and heavy use programs (say 60-80 GB) along with a larger Hard Drive for storage and perhaps some programs. Added: One problem in doing this with HP is that I have no idea what the motherboard is. The lower end MB's that handle second generation i7 CPU's may not have USB 3 or 6Gb/s connections. Since they indicate a 3Gb/s HD and do not list USB 3, that is probably the case here.
    Last edited by Larry Kumpost; 05-12-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

As I stated in a recent prior thread I am very, very satisfied with HP's tech support

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Thank you for your input. Larry thats my main concern with the HPs and Dells - the mother board - but anyway I'm specing a 590t from HP and it seems to fit the bill.

Post by Erikagal27 has been reported as SPAM

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by Don Randall View Post
    Here's a video on multi-core basics that illustrates the evolution of multi-cores with HyperThreading:
    http://www.intel.com/technology/prod...core+body_demo
    I'm looking to buy a laptop that will comfortably run X2. Lenovo offers the following: lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U) NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M.

Will X2 run well on this hardware?

Warning

Post by Akira12 may be spam

avoid clicking on the link that is in the posting

Akira12:

the answer to your query is - "probably"

how much ram is on your video card ???

don't even consider getting a video card that shares ram with the cpu

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Most video cards share ram with your CPU these days. They will use their on board memory first and then run over into the main ram if they run out of memory. This usually works really well, but when you run out of video ram things will slow down as you will be limited by they system bus speed for accessing data. This also takes memory away from the application limiting the size of a model that can be fit into a 32 bit memory space.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.