Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    It all started with Spam, sorry my bad.-bRad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

I have reported the post by phuonguyen05 as SPAM

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew,

You do know that you could simply report the spam and don't have to report your reporting of spam back to us, which clutters up the thread just as much as the spam does - yes?
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy:

of course I know that

but some readers may not notice that it's spam and click the links etc
    until the moderators see the post and delete it

there are usually posted ove the weekend

maybe the moderator should delete my post as well

maybe I should stop bothering all together

I'll gladly turn over the "job' to you

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew,

I think I'd give my fellow forum readers a little more credit. They probably don't send money to that nice man who writes to them from Nigeria looking for help either, or install "new antivirus" software that just volunteers to show up on their desktop. And if they don't know better, nothing you say here will save them!

There's certainly no harm in you reporting spam. Although if you're finding yourself distracted by that as a mission, you might give the moderators a little more credit also and cut yourself a break.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

This usually works really well, but when you run out of video ram things will slow down as you will be limited by they system bus speed for accessing data.

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Brown View Post
    Just a heads-up regarding Sager laptops, at least the NP8760 model.

I purchased the laptop in October 2009, and by March 2010 the battery had bulged and was no longer functional. Since I was out of the USA at the time I waited until late May to return the battery to Sager. They confirmed the battery had failed and sent me a new battery. They also suggested that it might be the charging circuit that caused the battery to fail, but before I sent in the laptop, we would try a new battery. Well, the second battery has failed - a strong indicator that the problem really was the charging circuit. Unfortunately for me, it failed outside the year warranty period.

Sager's response to my problem didn't even address the charging circuit as a potential failure, I quote:
    "Hi Barton, unfortunately, the battery failed after the manufacturer warranty has expired. At this point, your option is to order an new battery.

Sorry about that."

I'll keep pushing on this but wanted to warn potential buyers that there could be a design/manufacturing problem with some of the Sager laptops, and that Sager's response to an ongoing warranty issue leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Clearly, this is the last Sager laptop I'm going to own.
    Too bad your battery failed after the 1 year period. My brother has a sager, dont know the model though, and he had a charging circuit issue. Was covered within the 1 year and been taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winder View Post
    Too bad your battery failed after the 1 year period. My brother has a sager, dont know the model though, and he had a charging circuit issue. Was covered within the 1 year and been taken care of.
    My beef with Sager was the slime way they handled the issue/resolution. At the time of the initial problem, the Sager support guy said, "It could be a charging circuit issue (we have seen other laptops with this problem), but let's start by swapping the battery first as that is easier to try first". I interpreted that to mean that if the battery failed again, then I was on record as having a problem and they would take care of me. If I had known that it was just a slime way to get me past the 1 year warrenty so they could dump me, I would have insisted on sending in the laptop and having them check/replace the charging circuit. I suspect they didn't want to do that first because it was a lot more work on their part and if bad, they would have had to have replaced the motherboard of the laptop.

My issue was that when the battery failed the second time, and I talked with THE SAME SUPPORT GUY, and describe our original interaction, his response was basically "Tough, you're past the 1 year warrenty. You will be charged for a new battery and any charging circuit repair work. Bye."
    Barton

====
    Chief Architect X5 Premier Latest, Google SketchUp 8
    PC: OS:Win 8 Pro x64, Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz on an Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, SSD for boot disk.
    Laptop: OS: Win 8 Pro x64, HP dv7tQuadEdition, Core(TM) i7-2670QM - 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5, 660GB Dual Drive (160GB SSD/500GB 7200 rpm)

Barton:

too bad computer vendors aren't subject to the car lemon laws - or are they ???

I had a car dealer try that trick with me and when I pointed out that the problem was originally reported during warranty they backed down and did the work

maybe you need to write a "firm" letter to Sager and then contact the attorney general in their state ???

I have a friend who has had the AG contact vendors and "read the riot act" to them and he has gotten satisfaction that way

If no joy, then report Sager on the Complaints.com website to warn others

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Barton;

I don't know how old this issue is, but there is a law that says that at the discovery of [a] problem, that the warranty is extended from the time of discovery. I'm not sure of the case file, or even if for sure it extends to computers, but in construction related matters, it's used. My Sager is about 5 or 6 years old, and was top of the line with all of the bells and whistles. I can guarantee you, that for the 5 grand I paid for it, I would have spent 400 bucks on an attorney to send a letter to Sager and/or the distributor.

Sorry you had the trouble though, that's just not right.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

As a follow-up I have had staff tell me one thing and then when I complain to management or the President of the company it gets resolved quickly.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions.

Unfortunately, by now I have probably let too much time lapse. The laptop was purchased Oct 2009, the problem first diagnosed in March 2010 but I was out of the USA so waited until end of May 2010 to get battery replaced. Battery lasted about a year, so June 2011 it failed again (by bulging/swelling). I paid about $2,500 for the laptop in Oct 2009. I could now replace it for about $1,000 for an equal performance laptop.

The good news is that I no longer need to rely on the laptop functionality (i.e. unplugged), and the Sager still works when plugged into wall power. So, as a transportable workstation, it still functions.

Looking to the future, I'll wait to replace the Sager until after Windows 8 is released, so we are at least a year away. At that point, assuming HP is still in the PC business, I'll go back to HP notebooks, which have always worked well for me. I bought the Sager because I needed a notebook and could not wait for HP to announce their new lineup. As luck would have it, the day after I opened the Sager box, HP announced a laptop that would have worked just fine and was $400 cheaper - but I still had that time/delivery issue so I kept the Sager. Oh well.
    Barton

====
    Chief Architect X5 Premier Latest, Google SketchUp 8
    PC: OS:Win 8 Pro x64, Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz on an Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, SSD for boot disk.
    Laptop: OS: Win 8 Pro x64, HP dv7tQuadEdition, Core(TM) i7-2670QM - 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5, 660GB Dual Drive (160GB SSD/500GB 7200 rpm)