Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Why is there no 64 bit version of X3?
    Porting to 64-bit is not free, time-wise. Simply put, like other features that don't get completed in a version, it wasn't high enough on the priority list this release.
    Keith Jeffery
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com

Keith,

Thanks for that. I don't have my tinfoil hat on, so whilst the 64bit OS can access >4Gb or RAM, is there any X3 32 bit memory limitations? I recall something about a 2GB threshold.

I know there's a switch parameter you can add to the boot.ini that forces the OS to contain itself to the amount of RAM you designate by this parameter and I was wondering if this was the reason (ie 2GB application limitation) such a switch was used.

Lew,

It's all good - cool bananas
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

Thanks for that. I don't have my tinfoil hat on, so whilst the 64bit OS can access >4Gb or RAM, is there any X3 32 bit memory limitations? I recall something about a 2GB threshold.
    Yes, Windows puts limits on how much memory an application can access. A 32-bit application is only allowed to access 2 GB of memory, even though, in theory, they could access 4 GB of memory. This limitation still exists in the 64-bit versions of Windows.

I know there's a switch parameter you can add to the boot.ini that forces the OS to contain itself to the amount of RAM you designate by this parameter and I was wondering if this was the reason (ie 2GB application limitation) such a switch was used.
    Yes, you can set how much memory is divided between "user space" and "kernel space", but the application has to be built with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE, which Chief is not.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
    Keith Jeffery
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com

Thanks for all that handy info Keith.

You can have a banana too!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)