Hybrid View

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions.

Unfortunately, by now I have probably let too much time lapse. The laptop was purchased Oct 2009, the problem first diagnosed in March 2010 but I was out of the USA so waited until end of May 2010 to get battery replaced. Battery lasted about a year, so June 2011 it failed again (by bulging/swelling). I paid about $2,500 for the laptop in Oct 2009. I could now replace it for about $1,000 for an equal performance laptop.

The good news is that I no longer need to rely on the laptop functionality (i.e. unplugged), and the Sager still works when plugged into wall power. So, as a transportable workstation, it still functions.

Looking to the future, I'll wait to replace the Sager until after Windows 8 is released, so we are at least a year away. At that point, assuming HP is still in the PC business, I'll go back to HP notebooks, which have always worked well for me. I bought the Sager because I needed a notebook and could not wait for HP to announce their new lineup. As luck would have it, the day after I opened the Sager box, HP announced a laptop that would have worked just fine and was $400 cheaper - but I still had that time/delivery issue so I kept the Sager. Oh well.
    Barton

====
    Chief Architect X5 Premier Latest, Google SketchUp 8
    PC: OS:Win 8 Pro x64, Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz on an Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, SSD for boot disk.
    Laptop: OS: Win 8 Pro x64, HP dv7tQuadEdition, Core(TM) i7-2670QM - 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5, 660GB Dual Drive (160GB SSD/500GB 7200 rpm)