Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The code permits a minimum level of artificial light in windowless rooms in lieu of glazed openings or borrowed light from other naturally lit spaces.
    My apologies for the miss understanding, that is what I was looking for. Here in Ca. we use the 2007 California Building Code which adopts the 2006 Int. Bldg. Code. It is my understanding that ALL habitable rooms need to be provided by natural light per the code we use. That is why Perry (also in Ca.) eluded to using black out shades, I am assuming he has faced the same issue.

Maybe I am behind on my code knowledge and I am not required to provide natural light to ALL habitable rooms.

What is your understanding of this, Perry?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott-

The 2007 CBC dropped the 'light and ventilation' requirement that was in the UBC. CBC sect 1203.1 requires natural OR mechanical ventilation, 1205.1 requires natural OR artificial light. Hence, NO wdws req'd.

Hope this helps,
    Dorothy

BTW, was that you I saw on the Marrokal Construction TV commercial?
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Thank You Dorothy! I AM behind on my code knowledge, thank you thank you!

And yes that was I in the commercial.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

"What she said"

In standard residential, light is rarely the issue. It's just not that hard to have electric lights. However, if the house has electric or hot water baseboard heat (as opposed to ducted hot air), you are missing the ventilation part and will have to add it via ducted supply and return. If it doesn't have A/C, ditto for the summer months. And - even if you do have ducted heat and/or A/C, the design of the system has to provide adequate fresh air, not just recirculate. They should anyway, because those operable windows don't actually get opened much all winter or during a long hot spell. But, there's less margin for error.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    I think if the window complies with the 8% rule then it should automatically comply with the 4% ventilation rule. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone here will correct me.
    Lew:
    I maybe wrong about this automatically complying with the 4% rule. A friend has advised me that a window may meet the 8% rule and not meet the 4% rule because if it's a double hung window, and you can only open half of it it may not be enough to qualify for the 4% rule.
    It maybe necessary to change window styles from a double hung window to a casement window to get enough open space to comply with the 4% rule.

Also, if you're using a HRV machine you shouldn't have to worry about the 4% rule if the Heat Recovery Ventilator machine is sized correctly for the house.
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

I think if the window complies with the 8% rule then it should automatically comply with the 4% ventilation rule. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone here will correct me.
    What about if the window is a fixed glass window, or maybe a triple casement with only panel operable, or a .....
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Exactly my point, my statement is incorrect about them automatically complying. I'm still learning about these rules.
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

Jim:

thanks, some much too learn, so little time

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051