Foudation Problem

I don't think I have had this problem before and wonder if a bug has appeared. I have CA 12.6.0.25. I am trying to show a foundation where part of it is a full basement and the other part is crawl space. On the full basement side I have set the floor height to -102 and the stem wall to 96. On the crawl space side I have set the floor height to -36 and the stem wall height to 30. No problem there. However, when I do a 3D floor overview there is no difference, everything is showing full basement. I have looked at the help video on foundations and have followed it exactly but still no luck. Once more I am spending way too much time trying to figure out Chief Architect. I love it and hate it....right now I hate it. Anyone else have this problem? Must be something I am doing wrong but can't figure it out.

Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA

It might help if you can zip and post the plan. Not everyone here agrees with this, but if I have a full basement in any part of the plan (very uncommon here in California), I always make that Floor 1 instead of using the Floor 0. I just find things work easier this way.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Bryce, we really don't have basements here in Houston, but doing it your way would seem to be alot easier. I guess then, you place your terrain on the 2nd. floor?
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I will try to zip and post if I can figure out how. The full basement is located where the land takes a steep dive at the side of the house and it then becomes a daylight basement. The rest, under level ground, is crawl space. My client wants to extend the daylight basement out. Not sure how I would show this on Floor 1.

Thanks, Bryce.

Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA

Here is the file, I hope

Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had to do this manually using backclipped elev. views for each stem wall that needed adjustment. I thought that CA used to do this for you...

Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luke Foundation.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	35355  

i CHECKED OUT YOUR PLAN AND THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE THE FLOOR DEFAULT THAT YOU SET TO ABOUT 96".
    Oops caps-lock off now, change it back to about 36" or what ever the lower one is for the crawl space.

Check that out.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Yep, Andy's suggestion works for me too. I had to hit F12 though to get the 3D to rebuild.

Tommy, yes, when I do this I'll put my terrain on Floor 2. I just think it's easier to have the same kind of room definitions for a basement, or even a walk-out basement (some of which we do get here on steep lots), than to try and work it out on the Floor 0 level.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Thanks for your help. I discovered that part of the problem was my doors, which for some reason were set at an elevation below 0. Adjusting the doors to the right elev. solved my problem. Weird how the simple things can cost you so much time.

Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA