Thread: roof issue

roof issue

I am having trouble with a roof plane that is refusing to do what I want it to do .......

The easiest way to illustrate the problem is to include a screen capture - the offending plane should be meeting the adjacent plane (both shaded) against the wall of the upper floor over.

Every time I move the edge, it snaps back to the outside edge of the wall below.

What am I missing here?

Thankyou in advance,

Lenita
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROOF SECTION.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	34780  

Hi,
    does using the control key work, I have had this problem before, and don't think it does, perhaps try dragging it back in 3D view, or turning off object snaps
    Last edited by Tim Grindlay; 10-07-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Tim Grindlay
    SurTec Group Consultants Ltd
    New Zealand
    X4

Lenita,
    Roofs have a mind of their own at times, particularly when it comes to where you want the butting edge against a wall. Is that what it's doing?
    What does it look like in a camera? You are aware that you can join/edit roof planes in a 3D camera, right? I rarely join roofs in plan anymore.
    Just a suggestion..........

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Jim & Tim,

Thankyou for your suggestions - so far nothing has worked. I have sent my plan in to tech support to see if they can fix it - might be another bug??

I did notice similar issues in V10 from time to time .... maybe this has 'carried' over into X2 - who knows?

Lenita

Roofs will always pull back to the outer edge of the siding. Chief draws walls to look for a roof overhead and will clip the wall below the roof if this is the case. A roof plane drawn to the main layer of the roof will cause this, so chief snaps it back to the siding layer. I don't like this, but it is the way it is for now.

Your upper roof section is not detecting the presence of the wall, probably since the wall has a defined height and the roof baseline is above that. Once you draw attic walls, that might change. If you post the plan, I can have a look for you and suggest some options.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Talking

Thankyou for your offer of help, Rod.

I hope that I have 'posted' the plan ok.

Regards,

Lenita
    Attached Files Attached Files

I removed the offending roof plane and built another, and it seems to work fine. The old roof plane is still there, just moved across.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tim Grindlay
    New Zealand
    X4

Lenita,

Generate a cross section view looking from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen, just in front of the problem roof section.
    Hilite the wall with the corner window in it, the one with the problem roof plane over it.
    Notice how there is a step in the wall's top. The right side top is higher than the left side top.
    Drag the right side top down level with the left side top.
    Go back to plan and now you can snap the roof plane to the polyline or adjacent roof (outside of the wall above).
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Tim,
    Thankyou for your help.
    I have tried your suggestion, but without success. I checked the plan you posted, and the baseline of the new roof plane is not in the same position as on my plan - I have baselines set 100mm in from the inside face of the external walls (typical brick veneer construction here in Australia) .... maybe this is part of the problem???
    Hmmm - just had a thought - maybe I could 'cheat' and create a roof plane with a different baseline .... then simply change the height of the eaves ...... might give that a try!
    Thankyou again,
    Lenita

Glenn,

I constantly ask you .... how do you do it??!!

Your blood is most definitely worth bottling - thankyou! Totally fixed the issue.

Now .... why did this happen in the first place?? Just one of those things, I suppose!

Thankyou once again,

Lenita :-D

sorry, I had checked the baseline, I must have moved it without realising....this is a problem I have had before more than once, thanks Glenn
    Tim Grindlay
    New Zealand
    X4