Layer set, layer sets, and more layer sets

So I have been thinking lately about the widespread problem of the frustrating hunt through the layer display dbx and frequent request of having the layer display options dbx open and undocked, so that we can be always changing the display of layers without all the clicking. Until that happens, I have been working on an alternative over the last month. I have sub-layersets that address some of my major layer frustrations. Now, what is a sub layerset? Just something I just made up.

In my template plan, I have the following, user defined layersets:

01 - Plan Set
    02 - Foundation Set
    03 - Framing Set
    04 - Roof Set
    05 - Interior Set
    06 - Landscape Set

Now, each set has a subset. For example, my Plan Set:

01 - Plan Set - Default
    01 - Plan Set - Hidden Walls/Attic Walls
    01 - Plan Set - Posts and Beams
    01 - Plan Set - Lock Walls/Doors/Windows

The layer set is 01 - Plan Set, where the displayed layers are all suitible for the use of developing the plan. The subsets (default/hidden walls/posts and beams) are minor details that are changed for specific needs. In plan set, I always use invisible walls to define rooms that are not divided by walls. So, my hidden walls/attic walls subset specifically views those layers, and is much easier to find them than to open the layer display options and scroll down the list.

Does anyone else do this? If so, how much has it cut down on your searching the display options for that layer you just need to turn off?
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Rod:

For the first part I do something very similar [Foundation Set, Basement Set, Main Level Set, 2nd Level Set, Floor Framing Set, Roof Framing Set, etc.]. For those parts I typically have at least two parts I display with each:

For example:

Foundation Set
    Text, Foundation Set
    Dimensions, Foundation Set

Some other details which I put on separate layers I might want to display on more than one view to Layout so I just keep them "non-specific" and just turn them on/off as needed.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I started using Chief before the advent of "layer sets"; back then we made our own sort of which was really just more mess.

Now, like Curt perhaps I make some of my own and when I can't find something I use the "All On" set.

It is not very organized or as fastidious compared to some of you but I suit myself.

I think another factor is I never learned or used AutoCAD; the most vociferous promoters of "Layer Sets" were former users of that software.

Once I understood how to make and use them I could easily see the value of them.

I am so used to "clicks" that reducing the number, version to version suits me just fine (I don't know any better having been raised in a CAD "Barn" I suppose).

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Now, what is a sub layerset? Just something I just made up.
    Rod, that is what I do, very effective.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I use different layers for text, dimensions, cad lines for each layerset I use in a plan. This makes it difficult to change layersets without having to also change those layers that apply. That system works very good for me. That's why layer set default's would save a lot of clicks.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

This is similar to my method, Rod.