Threaded View

Who can rid me of this bad roof join?

I'm in X2-Trial, so I cannot post the plan, but if you are willing, I'll post the specs of this thing, here.

I am back and trying to do my favorite eyebrow, on one face of a square hipped roof. I cannot figure how to get a clean join, where the eyebrow valleys into the flat hipped plane. The flaws can be seen in the picture, attached.

Structure is a square, 26 feet to the side. No gutter, 9.25" rafter depth, square fascia, 5.5", deck at .625 with soffit at .375. 8:12 pitch roof, reset the fascia top to 89 inches.

The three planes of the eyebrow are based on a module width of 6'-11 3/16". That means that each fillet is that width, and the center arch is double that. Center arch has a fascia top of 115 inches, its baseline angle tilt is 20 degrees, and its arc is formed by setting the angles at start and finish to 34.7228 degrees, plus and minus.

The fillets compute from that, but I'll give you the numbers anyhow. Low end is 89, high end is 115, baseline tilt is 20 degrees, and the angles are 0 at the bottom and 34.7228 at top, so as to blend precisely with the arc. Set the pitch to degrees, and key in 17.3614. It's exactly half of what the arc pitch is, which is what you get whenever you do an eyebrow with fillets done in this 50-100-50 scheme.

If you are able to get this thing to join clean, all the way up, across, and down, please post pics to show how your roofs looked in plan right before executing the "join" command, and what your sequence was for fillet-arc-fillet.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	34573  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage