Roof Holes in Gable

Anyone know a way to keep these shapes from forming in the overhangs? They're caused by the skylights below. And by the way, nice to see everyone after a long absence!

Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Adam,

I have never seen this but by the same token I haven't designed any skylights under another roofs overhang either.
    My advice is to send it to Tech Support as it appears to be a reproducible bug; that kind of bug they can easily fix if they can reproduce it themselves.

Sure is goofy looking and I am sure unwanted as well!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I'd be whippin' that puppy into tech support faster than you can say "what the...?!"
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I am using V.10, and have found that any manual ceiling drawn on floor 1, blows ceiling holes through any ceilings-associated-with-roofs above those holes.

Try this in X2. In a two-story plan, find a floor 1 room that is below a top-floor room, with that top-floor room having a flat ceiling and roof over. Use the roof tool to draw on floor 1, a little postage-stamp roof plane in the middle of the room.

Now change floors to floor 2. In V.10, I find that Chief always cuts a hole in the floor 2 ceiling, projecting that floor 1 ceiling as a ceiling hole in floor 2. The roof will not be cut.

The only way I have found to work around this and have Chief not cut the floor 2 ceiling hole, is to lock ceilings before making the floor 1 ceiling plane. Unfortunately, that means that whatever I create on floor 1 for a ceiling plane has to be "simple-one-do-and-no-edits-allowed" construction, because to be able to do the editing, one needs to unlock the entity type (entity type "ceiling planes") in the layerset, and once you unlock, sliceroo!, your unwanted hole gets cut.

You can patch such holes with p'line solids as a workaround. I don't know of a "straight" fix with the software.

Since your work was done in X2, I am disappointed that this bug is there. As I am about to upgrade, I am curious to see if not only this "skylight below causes hole above" bug is there, but also the one I experience in V.10, the "ceiling below causes hole in ceiling-under-roof above.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Here is a thought.

Try deleting the skylights, rebuild to knock out the unwanted holes, then locking ROOF PLANES and ROOF OVERHANG AREA layers. Now rebuild the skylights.

Holes still there if this sequence is followed?
    Gene Davis
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Followup with graphic to show V.10 behavior

This glass-house view shows V.10 behavior. The lower-roof skylight does not affect the roof-overhang "soffit" of the roof above. I built this skylight two ways, one time with the auto-generate-ceiling-hole-below preference, the other time the other way. Neither way affected the roof soffit above.

In the view, you can make out the two manual ceiling planes I created on floor 1, each having zero pitch. One is in the middle of the room, the other has its baseline at the exterior wall's "building line." You can see how both ceiling planes have caused cut-throughs in the floor 2 ceiling.

I am doing this experimentation because what you have observed in X2, seems to relate to what I have observed in V.10, with the "bad consequence" sort of the same, but the "culprits" are different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	34287  
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 09-09-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Gene Davis
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Adam,

Have a look at this thread.
    It looks to be exactly the same problem that you are having.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ight=skylights
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks all. Still haven't figured it out, although the thread that Glenn referenced seemed like it would do it. I'll send it in to support.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6