How to make Asian Style roofs in CA X2?

I have spent the day reading the different posts on here about Asian style roofs but I still don't understand how to do it. In the building that I am designing for my project I hope to have a roof that is more Chinese/Japanese in origin than a western style roof. I am not looking to make the ornate roof caps that are on some buildings but would rather just have the half round ridge caps.

Please remember I am new to Chief Architect and I am seeking the wisdom of the geniuses that I see posting all the time. I am so amazed by your work^^ and want to learn, so please help kindly^^

Here are a few pictures to help you understand what i am looking for

Chief Version X2
    CA Home Designer Professional v9.0
    AutoCAD Civil 3D
    AutoCAD 2010

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Service Pack 2
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    2.99GHz, 1.25GB RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 64MB Video RAM
    5.3TB external storage
    =============================
    I am still a student so I am still learning, but everyone is a student and still learning. Lets learn together

Play with the curved roof tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	34249  

This thread should help
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ghlight=curved

mind you those pointed up corners look challenging
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

ShaSha,

Welcome to the forum!
    The turned-up eave corners would be a bit of a challenge for most users, new or otherwise but can be done with practice.
    I would recommend you start like Rusty recommends by "playing" (trial and error experimentation with the tool to get a feel for how it is programmed to work) with the curved roof tool.
    That is a great place to start.
    In order to do this sort of roof you can auto generate the roofs as a starting point but then I would create one section profile and then copy-paste-locate that one curved profile of manual roof sections around the building and then manually connect their edges.

I apologize for the above explanation but being "New" does not change what it takes to manually create such a roof.
    You will just have to learn the basics first (which will not create this type of roof) in order to have a basic understanding of manual roof tools.
    Then from that foundation of competence you can then expand your abilities.
    How long it takes is something only you can control as it will take intensive study along with practice sessions to create the knowledge and ability you need.
    We are all here to help as we can but you must supply the intention to succeed followed up by your own study and practice.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

ShaSha,

I haven't figured out how exactly to make just the corners turn up but this image is in the direction of what I meant in my prior post.
    I worked out the first profile (the curving roof sections; in this case three roof sections to create the entire roof profile) and then copy-pasted-rotated them to the other three walls and then manually joined their edges.

I have never been tasked to do this sort of roof before so this is my first try.

I expect I will have to add an additional roof plane in between each corner pair to flatten the major eaves.

HTH

DJP

Name:	AsianRoof.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	34253  

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

My You Tube Channel

To do the upturned hip ends, I don't see a way, but I am really an untrained newbie, and still using V.10.

Chief roof planes are either flat or cylindrical. While they can be rotated by angling their baselines, I have never come across a way to warp them as needed to do an upturned pagoda roof corner, nor other types of warpings I am interested in.

You can warp surfaces with the terrain tool, but unfortunately, you cannot build with it, as you would need for the azumaya-type roof desired.

A couple clips are attached from work I've done in Sketchup, which can be used for the importation of symbols into Chief.

Name:	Noname1.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	34256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	755 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	34257  
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 09-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Gene, you have observed correctly in that you can angle the baseline but not curve the baseline which this type of roof requires at its corners.
    I suppose the corners could be modeled in Sketch Up and added to the corner ends but until we can curve the roof planes and their baselines this is slightly out of reach in detail.

ShaSha, thanks for making me look!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

My You Tube Channel

I think I would do as David P suggests and then for tbe upturned eaves at corners I would use a psolid.... Might be tedious. Maybe create the upturn with terrain and create a symbol out of that
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Wow, so many replies so fast. Thank you everyone for your answers.

I have tried to make the curved roofs as you said, so far I have not been able to make the same type of roof as you have David Potter. However, I have finally successfully made a concave curved roof. I am still experimenting with how to make the curve the way I want it. The curved up roof corners have proven to be extremely difficult for me, but I feel better know that others have had difficulty with it too. I am sure that I could get by without the use of the curved up corners.

Quote Originally Posted by dshall
    A couple clips are attached from work I've done in Sketchup, which can be used for the importation of symbols into Chief.
    I am familiar with Google Sketchup but I have never been successful in making anything with it.

I will try to post my results later so that maybe I can receive further instruction or assistance in what I should do next.
    Chief Version X2
    AutoCAD Civil 3D
    AutoCAD 2010

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Service Pack 2
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    2.99GHz, 1.25GB RAM
    5.3TB external storage
    I am still a student so I am still learning, but everyone is a student and still learning. Lets learn together

I have one other question in this picture you can see that the side of the building has a gabled roof, but at the same time it has a second roof that comes along lower roof ridge that goes around the whole building. How would this achieved, or is it a result of the "porch" below? I have made something similar it in ACAD but I am not sure how to make it in CA X2. When I tried to import the structure it didn't import properly and was distorted. Besides it is more fun attempting these things in a new program than in something I am slightly more familiar with.

Last edited by ShaSha; 09-05-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Chief Version X2
    AutoCAD Civil 3D
    AutoCAD 2010

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Service Pack 2
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    2.99GHz, 1.25GB RAM
    5.3TB external storage

Build that as another roof plane and then put in an attic wall. I think it is called a dutcb gable
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall