Thread: Steps

Steps

Where Do I Find Steps To Go Up To A Porch. I Have Used The Stair Tool But It Sets The Steps On The Porch. I Need To Go From The Ground Up To The Porch??

Outdoor steps go down to terrain.

It's kind of counterintuitive, and it sure was buried softly (p. 339) in my manual (V.10) without any index reference, but you hold down the SHIFT key when drawing a down stairset.
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 09-05-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Use click stairs and drag to get the length you want

Dean
    Dean Miller
    Freeport Florida
    x1 / X2 Trial.2005 HP Pavilion
    dv 4000 series XP SP2
    1.6 GHv celeron 512 MB
    Intel 950 video(integrated)

As You Can Tell I Am New At This. I Have Version X1. When I Put Stairs On The Floor Plan And Go To View Them They Are On The Porch.

And you need to have a terrain out there for the steps to "sense" and go down to.

Try a quickie. Draw a four-wall house. Don't bother with anything else. Draw a porch on it using the deck railing wall tool. Now draw a terrain using the auto terrain tool. Check to see it is at 18 elevation, meaning that it is 18 down from your zero floor.

Use the stair tool, click and hold on the porch edge, hold down shift, draw a couple treads in the direction down from the porch.

You should have it. It is useful to do a render before doing this and tile the view splitscreen, so you can see the steps get built.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Mike,

In X-1 you use the alt key to draw stairs down from the porch. In order for the stair to know that the terrain is there two items must be present, the terrain and the foundation. The make reach button will never appear with just the terrain and the house, the foundation must be present as well.

Katy
    Last edited by louis; 09-05-2009 at 08:57 AM.

I find it helpful to put a landing on the terrain, spec ht of landing, this gives me more control
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall