Question Steel Deck/Concrete Slab over Basement

I'm still learning this program...

Does anybody have a method/suggestions for modeling a steel deck with concrete slab spanning a 14'-0" section of a basement?
    I'm confounded, to some degree, by the floor heights with this condition.
    I have a slab called for in the DBX, all the rooms above are set to Slab...yet, a slab does not appear when I do a 3D Framing view.
    Thoughts?
    Ben Ledbetter
    Project Manager
    Thomas J. Brennan Architects
    Plano, Texas
    ben@brennanarchitects.com

Software:
    DataCAD 12.8, SketchUp Pro 8, ArchiCAD 12, Artlantis R2, Chief Architect X3 (Build 13.3.2.20)

Hardware:
    AMD X2 Dual Core 6400
    4GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500
    Win 7 64-bit

Ben,

Is what you want that you are not getting is a 3-D slab in 3-D framing overviews?
    I mean what exactly is there that shouldn't be or that should be there that isn't exactly?

Do you want a fully 3-D steel deck supporting a slab?
    Do you intend to use the materials list when done or is the important thing the look in 3-D views and elevations?
    When I know that I will then know how it needs to be modeled for the goal you have in mind.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 09-04-2009 at 05:14 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

This is what I'm getting...

Seems to me that a floor overview should show the...well, floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Framing Model_No Slab Shown.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	34246  
    Ben Ledbetter
    Project Manager
    Thomas J. Brennan Architects
    Plano, Texas
    ben@brennanarchitects.com

Software:
    DataCAD 12.8, SketchUp Pro 8, ArchiCAD 12, Artlantis R2, Chief Architect X3 (Build 13.3.2.20)

Hardware:
    AMD X2 Dual Core 6400
    4GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500
    Win 7 64-bit

It appears that the room above basement may be defined as open below. If not check which layer that floor is on or create your own slab over basement
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

the floor overview camera only shows the current floor

you may need to create a "fake" floor and place on a layer that is only on when using the floor camera

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Ben:

I am not so sure you can span 14' with a concrete slab over a steel deck without some additional support underneath (see website page below).

As far as how to model this, you should be able to reproduce the profile of the steel deck material as well as the concrete material on the steel deck. I would probably try this using a polyline solid created in an elevation view. Might be best to make one the width of one of your steel deck panels (e.g., 36"). Perhaps creating the steel deck profile as a CAD line reshaped as required and then moving over the polyline solid might be helpful for editing the polyline solid's bottom edge to match the steel decking profile using the break line tool. Don't delete the CAD line yet ... you could reuse it for creating the steel deck material to go directly under the slab.

Once you are done with the PL solid slab and the PL solid steel decking, you could switch back to plan view and stretch them out to match your room's span. It might be best to make the concrete PL solid a different depth by switching back to plan view and dragging its edge out aways to make it easier to find and distinguish between the steel decking PL solid.
    Somewhere in the process you could use the Point to Point move tool to attach the steel decking profile directly under the slab.

The only thing left to do would to be making copies of the two as many times as required to fill your room. If you want to have these two count in the materials, you could create a material for each to have them calculate when you build the list.

There might be a way to do this with custom moldings as well. Give one or the other a try and I think you should be able to model this OK. But, you should check on the support requirements as I think you will need extra support for this floor system. Maybe your engineer has already told you this ...???

I have done several designs using the InsulDeck insulated floor system which could easily be designed to span 14' without center supports, but this system requires more depth due to the built-in joist spaces (for reinforced concrete joists) as well as support/proper connections at the side walls. The designs I have done have all been with ICF wall connections. Logix has a similar product manufactured for them by Beaver Plastics. I believe there may be at least one or two other brands of insulated floor systems available as well.

Maybe one of these products would work better for you if you or your customer doesn't want to have the extra supports under a steel deck (if req'd) .... i.e., having a nice flat ceiling. These systems do require engineering .... primarily in making sure the right depth joists and reinforcement bars and placement is used.

Below is a 3D view of a slab over steel deck, the 2D elevation view of the same model .... I created out of the wild blue without any thing to pattern after (36" wide) and also shown is a page from a website link on steel decking.

Maybe the two materials can be combined and made into a symbol just like a joist or beam ... should work I think. You could probably detail all connections in CAD 2D views.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DView-SlabOverSteelDeck.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	34262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ElevView-SlabOverSteelDeck.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	34263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SteelDeckg.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	34264
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard