lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Setting lot around house

I have a 3 acre lot approx. 270'x500' that drops 80' from one end to the other. I set the lot around the house, which has a walk out basement, and decided after I had all the original contours in that I wanted to rotate the house a little to take better advantage of the contours. I knew not to rotate the house but to rotate the lot. I locked all layers on the house, except the terrain layers, then used edit area to rotate the terrain. Everything looked good in plan view till I checked out my other floors and found out they also rotated with the terrain, even though I had everything locked, except the terrain layers. How do I move the terrain around without affecting any of the house? I'm sure there is a simple solution to the problem. As always thanks to all who take the time to help me out.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Group select terrain items and rotate rather than using edit area.

Rusty---Thanks. I was having a brain freeze last night. I think it was too much coffee. When I got up this morning I thought that I must have to select each item then rotate. The question I'm wondering know is if I had everything locked why did they rotate anyway? Thank you again.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

It maybe better to turn those things off, so that they don't show, instead of trying to lock them.
    I believe if they don't show then they can't be selected.

If you zoom out and then select the terrain you should have a standard handle for rotating.

Or once selected use the transform/replicate to rotate to a specific degree from start.

I haven't opened a file or created a test file to verify any of this, so I could be wrong, but it would seem that it makes sense to me....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

Edit area doesn't respect locked items and is useful for that reason for doing plan wide edits. Edit Area Visible will only affect visible items.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Jim--The trouble with turning them off is that you can't see the house for placement.
    Doug--Is it possible to have a child button that could rotate, move, etc. are items only pertaining to the terrain? Then you wouldn't have to go around clicking on all your terrain items to edit them.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670