Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attic Trusses

Attic Trusses

I'm using HDP 8.0 and can't seem to find enough information on how to install attic trusses. I found information saying I needed some kind of floor truss below the attic truss or it won't install them. I am not sure how to proceed with this. I thought the attic truss was built to carry the load and didn't need to have a truss below it. I've never seen it that way anyway.

Can anyone help me understand how to proceed in adding these trusses to my workshop? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
    TeaMan

All that is required for attic trusses is a defined ceiling below and roof planes above.
    All the tool does is fill in the cavity between those two structural areas (ceiling and roof planes based on how you have set framing defaults).

The "Truss Tool" is a manual tool; you draw each truss or a truss and then copy-paste the others at your choice.

There is a lot more to this but it is well covered in the videos, manual, help files and help database that is available to you here, on your PC and on line.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I've done everything you suggest. I get an error when I edit one of my trusses and try to chang it to an attic truss. It says "a flat ceiling must be present for the center of the truss and floor platforms for the ends of the truss". I have a flat ceiling, and have no idea what it wants at the ends. Nothing in the manual, videos, or database explains this.

TeaMan

Teaman

I found information saying I needed some kind of floor truss below the attic truss or it won't install them.
    Not a floor truss but floor platforms.

Dean
    Dean Miller
    Freeport Florida
    x1 / X2 Trial.2005 HP Pavilion
    dv 4000 series XP SP2
    1.6 GHv celeron 512 MB
    Intel 950 video(integrated)

OK, so what are floor platforms? I'm not familiar for this at all?

so what are floor platforms

they are what creates the floor for a room,
    can be framed or trussed and then a sub floor and then a flooring material

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

OK, If I understand correctly the floor platform is created by selecting the room and selecting floor under room. If the attic isn't a room and can't be selected, I can't select floor under this room to create a floor platform. How do I create one? Is it really this difficult?

Is it really this difficult

There is a learning curve (for any software) some climb faster than others, some can't climb too far, some don't read the trailmaps before starting out
    some get caught in "traps" that can only be learned by experience

Floor A can't have rooms defined, this is probably in the docs, but does trip up newbies regularly

if you need rooms "up there" create another floor (floor 2 or floor 3) and make sure you have a ceiling

trusses are generated between the ceiling plane and the roof plane, both must be present.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

TM,
    In the room dbx, check "ceiling over this room" and "roof over this room"
    Then, build roof planes, then you can build roof trusses by dragging them across the bearing wall tops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrtScr_19.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	33655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrtScr_20.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	33656  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

floor platform is created by selecting the room and selecting floor under room

a normal room will get a floor platform automatically

the "floor under room" setting is similiar to using "open below" in that the floor platofrm is skipped and the "floor" is supplied by the room below, usually a slab for the foundation.

You probably don't need to use this setting

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Here's a thread where I attempted to help Ed O. out with his project:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=43459

If this information isn't helpful, please search the forum for other threads - try using either "attic truss" or perhaps "bonus room" for your searches.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I have enough information to get me though it. I would assume that the second floor would be created with Zero wall height, then let the trusses become the room above. I'll give that a try first.

I already have a roof on this building with trusses built. I'm not sure what will happen when I try to add a second floor, it it'll delete my roof or not. I'll try it and see. If it works, I should then be able to change my existing trusss to attic trusses.

If all else fails, I'll remove the roof, create a second floor with ceiling above, then roof planes, and create the trusses.

I have some playing to do. The best way to learn a software and it's limitations is to try things and see if they work. If not try again. I also find that frustration isn't worth it if you can ask a question, get some feedback and get out of a rut. Learning happens much faster if you are not frustrated.

Again, Thanks
    TeaMan

Tea
    You need knee walls and a ceiling height..
    The manual should explain it..
    Not discouraging your question here, I had to do Attic trusses a short time ago and the Chief Help section explained it good.
    Practice on a small square box type of plan.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

once the roof is created you could delete the whole house and the roof remains

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

If I get tooooo frustrated, toooooo quick, I call Tech Support and that is usually where it ends. If time isn't an issue, I try here on the forum to get any help needed. Weekends is a no brainer ... you got to do it here or get help from one of the CA power users. Louis Fernandez did that for me one weekend using GoToMeeting. Help usually isn't too far away. Once in awhile it might take a little bit of time to get a good answer back but that "usually" isn't the case.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard