Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blocks In Layout Too Large

Using V10.8a

I drew some details in the by opening "Cad Detail". When I send the detail directly to the layout, it comes in fine, keeping the same size/scale as the rest of the drawing 1/4"=1'.

But, when I add them to my Library so I can use them on any drawing and I put them in my layout, they come in gigantic, and I cant see any way of getting them to be the size I want other than to drag one of the corners to make it smaller.

But trying to get the text to be the exact same size as the Text in the drawings is hit or miss, guess work, squinted eyes and never exactly the same.

How do you save a detail to the library so it goes tothe layout at the scale you want?

Thanks,

Ed Orum

Always send the detail from a plan file to a layout file...not directly into the layout file. The reason is that when you "draw" a detail..it is drawn at 1"=1" scale. So, when detailing a footing, the detail is 20" wide by 12" tall on the paper...1"=1". So the details in your library are actual size. They need to be in a plan file so that they can be sent to layout at a scale other that 1"=1"...like 3/4"=1'-0".

That is the same in any CAD program by the way. You always "draw" in full size 1"=1", and send to a layout, or viewport, or any other program that has printable/scalable layout in the scaled down version.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Ed,
    Draw the detail at full scale & add to your library. Bring the detail into a Plan CAD Detail & send to layout at desired scale.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

This really needs some repair or fixing because if you load up a lot of cad details in your plan, it will slow everything down. You really should be able to load the detail directly from the lib., and scale it. That would be a great fix for X3.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

This really needs some repair or fixing because if you load up a lot of cad details in your plan, it will slow everything down. You really should be able to load the detail directly from the lib., and scale it. That would be a great fix for X3.
    I see this heading into the whole "workaround" direction. How do you "fix" something thats not "broken"?
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

...and before any one asks...when you need to print a quick detail to show a homeowner, contractor, building official, the Pope..just toss it on an 8½" x 11" and note N.T.S.
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

To me , you should be able to send anything to the layout directly from the library at scale. it's only common sense. You can do it your way also, I'm just pushing for an easier way and a lot less keystrokes and bulk in the plan. I dont know about Indiana, but in calif. I use about 50 details in each plan with all the earthquake stuff and energy requirments.
    Last edited by perryh; 07-08-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

You CAN resize blocks in the layout; either through Transform/replicate/resize or the hgt & wdth factors in the CAD Block dbx. You'll have to do the resize math yourself. I guess CA could add that.

In vX2, there's even "retain aspect ratio".

Doesn't adding a lot of CAD to the layout bloat the layout files even more than adding a lot of CAD to the plan & sending to layout? Seems I remember it was pretty much a "wash" either way.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Yes, but I would rather bloat the layout file as I work in the plan file more. It would just be nice to have a dbx box with a scale when sending to the layout. I don't think at all that chief is broken. Just looking to the future.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

what about a having a second plan that contains only the cad details.

a layout can reference multiple plans

I would favor being able to send directly from the library to the layout, scaling just
    as we do from the plan

Lew
    Last edited by lbuttery; 07-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

That's what I do, Lew. When the plan starts bogging down, create a copy just for the CAD Details & delete the 3D model. Just have to repoint the layout views to the new CAD Detail plan.
    I keep CAD work to a minimum on the layout pgs.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

I did not know you could send multiple plans to the same layout.

Do the multiple plans have to be in the same directory or folder along with the layout?

Thanks,

Ed Orum

Do the multiple plans have to be in the same directory or folder along with the layout?

Ed:

they dont' have to be, but it is highly recommended that they are

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Ed,
    No they don't. If you keep the same directory file structure, you'll be OK. & it's not that difficult to repoint the layout to "lost" plan files, as long as you know where they are.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Thanks I just got started transferring all the library items I have made over the years to a "Library Plan".
    But I still think it would be nice to have a library where you could past at the scale you want it in the layout. If it can do it at 1:1, why not at 1/4:1?

Just another reason for me to delay upgrading until "V Everything Finally Works Like It Should"