Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wall length

Tboy is offline Registered User Promoted

wall length

Dumb question from newbie!!
    I create a wall and want to make the length 18' 2 3/16" long. I can't figure out how to do it other than tring to strech it.

Doubleclick the wall. See in the dialog box where the length is? Overwrite that with the length you want.

This will work if the wall you want to shorten or lengthen is a wall unattached at its ends.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

When I double click the wall allI get is Wall Specification and nothing that give me the option to change the length.
    I am using version 9.5

click on the wall, then click on the dimension you want to change, and you should get a set dimension line dialog box

Draw in a cad line where you want the wall to end and then grab end handle of wall and drag it to cad line and it will snap to cad line. Make sure snaps are on.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Question DUMBER Question from an OLDIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tboy
    Dumb question from newbie!!
    I create a wall and want to make the length 18' 2 3/16" long. I can't figure out how to do it other than tring to strech it.
    Here's a related (X2) question regarding the use of "Temp Dimensions" to properly adjust the length of a "stub wall". Attached is an image illustrating how a potentially useful tool or method does not easily (or acurately without using extra calcs) allow dimensioning a "stub wall" using the Wall Spec Dbx/ General Tab/ designate Wall Length, check Lock 'Start'.

I wanted Stub Wall Length= 4'-0" but had to calculate and enter Wall Length=4'-6 1/4" which is an unnecessary time consuming PITA. This is all caused by the way "Main Layer" designation of walls in Wall Spec Dbx/ Wall Types Tab/ Define wall type, screws up wall intersections and is waaaaay tooooooo INFLEXIBLE.

Wall intersections need to be individually controllable by the user. The ability to manually (and directly) override the Chief controlled (user semi-controlled) connections of walls is long overdue. A majority of drawing/ drafting headaches could be avoided by properly addressing this one issue.

Thanks for your consideration. (We also could use a "Humble" Smiley Face icon)
    Regards,
    Brad Boltz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WallLenthControlUsingTempDims.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	32590  
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

I wanted Stub Wall Length= 4'-0" but had to calculate and enter Wall Length=4'-6 1/4"
    That is why the cad line is req'd
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Draw an invisible wall off the end of the stub wall & dimension to it.
    No CAD line needed.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by dshall
    That is why the cad line is req'd
    The cad line was necessary in previous versions. In X2 you can control the wall lenght directly in the dbx and can lock the start, center or end. Drawing a cad line is a work-around and should be unnecessary with the new (semi-functional) "functionality" of the wall length dbx.

The current status of wall layers and the ways walls connect and display are what screws up a potentially usefull tool.

Regards,

Brad Boltz
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign
    Draw an invisible wall off the end of the stub wall & dimension to it.
    No CAD line needed.
    Jim
    Sorry Jim, that's an even older-school workaround I've had to use since v5. In X2 it would be unnecessary if "temp dimension" would find the innermost (but should be toggle definable on the spot) wall surface (finished wall in my as-is dwg example). Then I could just set the wall length in the dbx to the displayed temp dim.

Even better would be if Chief would take the final step and move stub end-walls with dimensions directly. Why at this point are they faarting around with such a simple solution??.
    Regards,
    Brad Boltz

Bradley,
    Why do you keep making apologies to me? I just offered a "work-around" that works better (IMO) than the CAD line.
    The real issue here is 2D display of wall intersections. Obviously it's not as simple as you think it is, or it would have been done by now. This has been repeatedly requested for a long time. One of these days.........ArchiCAD handles this nicely.
    This situation only applies to exterior walls that don't have the framing layer as the main layer. temporary dimensions & the wall length in the dbx work fine for typical interior walls & most other exterior wall types.
    I would need to see your wall type to see why you have the main layer set to that outside layer. You can have one layer as your main layer, & set the outside layer as "dimension to" in your wall def & probably clear up some of the other display issues too. You need to have a clear understanding of how walls "resize about", but ........
    Temporary dimension defaults can be set to wall surfaces, etc. w/ your walls set up as in your image, the wall lengths in the wall bdx aren't very useful.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

What I have done in that situation is draw a 4 foot wall out into the middle of the room and then use the point-to-point move tool. (I'm not sure if that qualifies as a work-around or not)
    Len Dalton
    v X4
    CA Certified Professional

Red Face Now I Don't Know Why I Bitched At All

Either, I'm suffering from dymensia(for cad, dimensia?) and for sure lack of spell-check- but I just drew a stub wall, dimensioned to it's end and moved it nicely by selecting and changing the dimension.

I don't recall being able to adjust a stub wall lenth using "move with dimension". Am I lost here? If this is the new behavior then everything discussed in this thread is now moot regarding X2 12.4.0.23 .

Sorry Jim, but I'm no longer sorry!!

Regards,

Brad "Sorry Arse" Boltz

Question Inconsistant Behavior Of Stub Wall Lengths

In the course of discussing this thread, I came across this inconsistancy in dimensioning the lengths of stub walls.

When changing a stub walls length using 'move with dimension', the walls behave differently in the horizontal or X direction from their behavior and end result when in the vertical or Y direction. See attached plan example.

Can anyone else verify this as a glitch? I adjusted the lengths of both walls using a manual dimension line without using perpendicular cad lines or perpendicular invisible walls.

If verifiable by others, this should be reported to Chief as a bug.

Regards,

Brad Boltz (Jim can call me Bradley, it makes me feel younger!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StubWallLengthUsingDimsAnomally6-7-09.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	32611  

Got it
    Thanks