When to send to plan to layout?

Hello to all of you. I'm drawing my retirement home on CA 9.54. I have the floor plan the way I want it, and my question is, when is it ready to send to layout? In other words do you add text and edit in plan or wait and do them in layout? Any guidence will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    David

David:

Not sure about ver 9.5 but in X1 and X2, maybe ver 10, it is best to do as much as possible in plan and then send to layout

ver 9.5 is an antique and I have forgotten if all the elevations are "live" etc

we only used ver 9.5 for a little bit before ver 10 came out

basically shoot an elevation, add your text etc and save the camera, then send to layout

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Send both plans and elevations to layout whenever you want. The plan will update 100% automatically as you develop it. Any text, dimensions and cad you add to an elevation will also.

If you make changes to the design after you send the elevations to layout, like moving windows, you'll need to update each elevation by opening and closing its layout box and saying "yes" when prompted.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy is correct. I would also keep all plan files and layout files for that job in the same job folder.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Thanks for the information
    David

I would second the suggestion to do as much as possible in the plan before you send it to layout. If you send a blank elevation to the layout and then add text and arrows or other lines to the elevation you will have a problem if you need to move the elevation on the layout page. Yes you can entirely select the elevation and all the text etc. but it is a whole lot easier to do your notations and stuff in the plan file.
    Jim Sykora CPBD
    Sykora Home Design
    www.sykorahomedesign.com

Jim, sorry but I have to disagree with you UNLESS you're adding all your text and arrows etc. in the layout. I don't do that so that is a non issue to me. If all your text, arrows, everything is done in the elevation then it doesn't matter when you send it. Even if you change things in the elevation, when you close it you can tell it to update. It sounds like that you're adding text and stuff to the layout though. It's easier if you don't. Oh yea, same applies for plan views sent to layout (but now we're getting into layersets).
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 06-08-2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I send plans and elevations to layout as soon as possible, so I can see how they fit, how much room I have left, etc. Then I know much I need to worry about keeping my notes tight.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy is not quite correct, any layer changes you make will not show up in the layout view. In 9.5 I recommend completely developing your plan fully with all your sets set up like you want and then send to layout for no head aches. If you insisit on doing it Wendy's way then call her when you start having trouble.

Believe me I know, I started teaching version 8.
    Last edited by louis; 06-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    Wendy is not quite correct, any layer changes you make will not show up in the layout view. In 9.5 I recommend completely developing your plan fully with all your sets set up like you want and then send to layout for no head aches. If you insisit on doing it Wendy's way then call her when you start having trouble.
    Actually, that's a good point for V9.5. It behaves differently. However, I think the elevations behave the same as far as updating goes. Don't really want to do a sample in 9.5 right now.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)