Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Michael,

Anything shown only with cad will not show in 3D. That's why I use the method it sounds like you were originally persuing - Removals as cad, Existing To Remain as walls (with or without segregation from New by layer and/or wall type).

To elaborate on the cad method: You don't have to edit to remove the ETR. Simply assign the whole wad as Back group and a lineweight that's less than your other stuff and it will sit there quietly minding it's own business, showing only where there's really a removal. As a bonus, it's there as a guide. If you accidentally move something that's supposed to be ETR, you will notice it, because your ETR cad will show where it should not.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Michael, as I said, this is a personal preference. Even if you place walls on a different layer, they are still walls in the plan. That is something to think about. Even in a different layerset with the existing walls changed in appearance and on a different layer, just by turning them off in a layerset doesn't mean that they're not in the plan anymore. Way too many things can possibly happen with room def. for one and other things depending on what you're doing. A complicated or extensive remodel could possibly turn into a nightmare.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)